Still some big ones out there

I'd sure like to hunt for Australian gold one of these days. A lot of it has such a neat look to it and looks really yellow and pure. Like Rich Hill gold. Most of my bigger nuggets are covered in quartz and aren't solid lumps like those.

Hi Houghy. Don't know, I had a 7000 for a bit over 3 mths and where I am in Vic golden triangle I was not happy with it. Went out with someone using a 5000 and the 5 was the better detector hands down. After careful deliberation and much testing I went back to the 5000. From what I can gather and have seen there are gold types and ground types the 7 is great at, but some that the 5000 is better at. I believe that in some cases the 5000 punches deeper and others the 7. Have you got one of the new Coilteks or NF flat winds? They add inches depth to the 5!

Ha ha, ain't that often the case. Find a spot with a small coil, do ok and think "mate I can't wait to hit it with the big gun" to find the small did the major damage. I should add that I did find gold with the 7 its just that where I hunt it didn't perform as well as other places. I do know it works better in QLD than in Vic, I don't know about WA. Good luck out there Houghy.

• 2 weeks later...