How do you guys store your gold nuggets?

My bigger nuggets I don't keep in anything but I was just wondering how you guys store your smaller dinks and grammers.

I've got a few different glass vials that I store my smaller nuggets in based on location like these-

Glass-Vials-Glass-Gold-Vials-600x600.JPG

However it seems like the soft gold nuggets get beat up a little rattling around in there. The unique desert patina they have gets a little shiny around the edges from rubbing up against each other.

So another storage option I was considering was getting some of those foam containers like these which might protect them better-

gem-jars-with-nugget-display-tray-6-size

I've got quite a few nuggets so maybe I could throw three or four small ones in each container.

Another option I was considering was getting a plastic fly fishing lure box with a bunch of little compartments in it.

Let me know if you have any unique ways of storing your precious gold nuggets. Unless you're just a "throw 'em all in a coffee can" kinda guy.

I'm mostly just concerned about protecting their patina but I've got a little too many to wrap each little one up in tissue or something and I also want to keep them in something where I can see them every once in awhile and show them off when I take them out of storage. Chris

I use the foam lined gem jars in the display box for nuggets, and use the glass and plastic vials for fine gold only.

You can remove the foam from the gem jars and place a piece of paper cut to fit with the location where the nugget/s were found in the bottom of the jar where it can be read from the bottom and the re-insert the foam.

In my pillow case :P

OK....in a safe :)

I have little square plastic snap lid containers with foam in them. I put the wash I got

them out of and the date. Someday.....its all going to come together and I will figure it out!
Tom H.

Small peanut butter jar in a safe deposit box! Nothing fancy ... I don't showcase them ... too much possibility for loss ... I keep one or two to show but mostly just a couple small ones and one for a test nugget ... but that one is only a .5 grammer ... nothing worth holding me up for! :)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

For years I would use those Gem Jar Display cases, as they are very nice. That being said, once you get a few of those full with hundreds of nuggets, it's hard to store them in a safety deposit box due to the size. You don't want a bunch of display cases that someone can break in, grab a bunch of display cases and run off. It's too easy to get robbed that way and too hard to store when you get a number of them stacked up.

That being said, many years ago I seen a very successful nugget shooter (now passed) store nuggets in a coffee jar. He had 2-3 big Folgers (not sure the brand) cans in the cabinet. He opened it, I seen the cans, he reached up and pulled one down. The can was full of coffee grains, but he reached in and pulled out a small sack. Inside the small sack was about 15 ounces of nuggets, roughly a small handful. It was a pretty slick way to hide nuggets. If someone broke in, who is really going to look for coffee, or 2-3 cans of coffee.

Rob's coffee idea is a good one ... I also heard of one using a similar approach but with a canister of flour or sugar ... can't remember which ... but either would work.

Mike

Just make sure your wife knows they are in the canister. My wife goes through the food pantry and throws out the expired things without looking inside, only reads the outside date.

They make some mini storage containers that are shaving cream, Gunk, hairspray, wd40, etc. The bottom unscrews to store things inside. Real cans made into mini safes. Best to make sure at least one tructed person knows about your stash just in case something happens to you so they don't get thrown out or sent to the garage sale!