Battery systems

Is there an affordable battery system for the gpx 5000? I like the looks of docs system but can't spend 500$ on accesories at the moment. I made one for my gp extreme very similar to docs setup and it cost me about 70$ in components but I don't really want to risk damaging the 5k with homemade power solutions haha?

• Admin

Hey AHorton10,

Ya, the Doc's Goldscreamer is a bit expensive, but a proven lightweight battery system that mounts to the side of your Minelab PI. I guess you have to pay a bit more for the "ease of use" of this product. The system is actually $469.00, the most expensive piece is the regulator cradle, which holds the li-ion battery, but also has a built in Signal Enhancer. The signal enhancer alone is about $125.00, so that is one reason the battery system is more expensive. The $499 model has the Slimline External Speaker included.

I have seen many homemade systems, all of them have failed to be honest. There was a guy that was making them for about $250.00 at Stanton Arizona a few years back, but once the units started to fail and the batteries wouldn't work anymore, the guy bailed from the Stanton Camp and has yet to be seen to my knowledge.

Can someone that has some electronic knowledge build one, no question YES!

The replacement Li-ion battery for the GPX 5000 is $440.00. This is a also an expensive replacement item.

You're right about the stock battery rob, if mine failed I would probably replace it with docs system. I really want to lose the wires but for the time being I may just have to use it the way it was designed. I may even buy a short cable and strap the stock battery to the side of the detector, im not too worried about weight so much as I am about strapping on all the gear to use the thing. I want to just grab it and go without a harness. I don't mind the cord while detecting, I actually prefer the battery cable to having the headphones attached to the detector itself when in use, I just want to hop off the quad hit a wash and jump back on and go without suiting up each time.

When I had a 4800 I had a large Camelbak with an external pouch on it that I'd throw the battery into. I never used the harness. Worked out pretty good.

Eureka Worx also makes a control box cover with a pouch on the side designed to hold the standard Minelab battery. Get that then track down a shorter cable and you'd be set.

• 2 weeks later...

The big advantage of my system is actually the price. My system comes with two batteries for $469. If you were to buy two Minelab Lthium Ion batteries it would cost you $880.

What if you needed an extra Minelab battery? Another $440

After your initial investment in the Gold Screamer system, additional batteries are only $55.

So let's say you are going to Australia and you want to have 4 batteries.

Minelab Lithium Ion batteries, you will need to buy three additional batteries at $440 each. Total $1,320.

My system, $469 two batteries included and 2 additional batteries $55 each, $110. Total $579. And my system now comes with a digital charger that charges two batteries at once; included in the price. Minelab's charger? 1 battery at a time.

Plus you have the advantage of getting rid of the power cord, and we include a control box cover to neatly hold the 14 ounce Gold Screamer system.

Doc

Hey doc, if it came down to having to replace or get an additional minelab battery I would definately go with your system. As far as getting a system as an additional accessory I can't swing the price for the time being. I did strap the stock battery to the control box and that seems fine for short hunts although more and more I find myself disliking having my headphones attached to the detector instead of behind my back. One of these days I'll figure out a good wireless setup for the phones then I'll be set haha

Tortuga, you're absolutely right, it's annoying when you go to dig a target and the cord pulls at your head. I've seen alot of threads about fm transmitters and bluetooth but nothing that seems to really work the way we want it to. I wonder what type of transmitter/reciever the 7000 uses? The spirit eq battery system in Australia has a wireless link built in also but both systems seem more robust than a simple audio transmitter from radio shack