How to successfully Update your GPZ7000 firmware

Trying to use the Minelab instructions and using the Xchange2 program did not work at all. It told me there was an update available, I started to download it to the detector, it failed to download it, at about 70% downloaded it crapped out.

When I exited the program and went back into it, the xchange2 program no longer recognized that an update was available because it had already attempted to download it so I assume it thought it was successful.

OK so here is what I did to successfully download the firmware upgrade. Total time no more than 10 minutes.

Step 1 Plug in the USB cable of your detector to your computer and turn the detector on and leave it on. Under no circumstance turn it off. The upgrade will turn off the detector when it is done with the upgrade.

Step 2 Go to My Computer and look for the E drive. It may be another letter, but it will say Minelab GPZ7000, this is looking at the storage on your GPZ7000. Just make sure it is showing up in My Computer.

Step 3 Go to:

http://www.minelab.c...?view=downloads

Download _blank.gif GPZ 7000 Firmware October 2015 (9.69 MB) to your computer on your C: drive in a folder where you will remember where it is.

The file will be named: GPZ_7000_UPDATE_IMAGE_20151009.ml3

Step 4 Once the file is downloaded on to your C drive go to the file. Copy the file from your C Drive to the E Drive or other drive letter that indicates this is your GPZ7000 detector.

Step 5. Once you have copied the file successfully, go to the E drive, do a right mouse click on the E drive, and select EJECT. This will terminate the connection between your computer and the detector.

Step 6 Unplug the USB cord from the computer. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR DETECTOR. The detector screen will sense you have unplugged the USB cord and it will start the upgrade. Once it has initialized the upgrade it will ask you if you want to do a firmware update. Push the check mark to indicate that you want to proceed.

Step 7 the firmware will start to update and show you a percentage complete. Around 80% the screen will go black. Don't panic! What has happened is that the firmware upgrade has actually been successful and it has completed 100% and turned the machine off.

Step 8 Turn the machine back on, and it will ask you for the language, units of measurement, etc. Just like it did when it was brand new. Do a noise cancel on it and let it go through the noise cancel procedure until it gets to the point where it wants you to push the tracking button in and move the coil back and forth to balance the machine. It is at this point that you should notice that the picture on the screen is indicating you should be balancing the machine over the yellow ferrite ring. This will be your confirmation that you actually have successfully installed the new firmware.

Hope this helps and saves you some frustration.

Doc

Certified Minelab Gold Machine Trainer

I had to try three times before I successfully got it done...I used the cd that came with the detector and had to remove the first x2 program...anyway it got done.

I was somewhat perplexed that the detector program didn't say it was complete before blacking out and turning off???? a little notice Minelab would be nice!

There is no where in the directions that say you donot need to upload the x2 program if it is already done, but, I figured there might be new stuff in the gpz cd...however the cd says it is for the 3030...again a little more info would be nice for the less-nerdy like me.

So to be certain the upgrade happened I turned the machine on and it showed the new gb procedure...and I had to reset all the settings...a small inconvenience.

Fred

• Admin

Hey Fred and Doc,

Ya, I got my completed also last night, the instructions on the PDF in my opinion were not really clear. It took me about 15 minutes overall to download (which was slow on my PC) and install to the GPZ.

To verify you have successful updated the newest version, you can go through the "Quick" Green button feature to setup and verify the ground balance portion shows the Ferrite Tube being displayed to place on ground. You can also go to 2nd to last or last screen on the GPZ and verify the version of software.

You don't have to "Reset" your settings, you could choose to keep "Current" settings with the new update. Just a FYI.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Bill Southern called yesterday and was having issues with the XChange program and uploading the download to the GPZ. I told him to read your post here and he was able to successfully get it done and verify it was complete.

Sounds like there are issues with some people not able to get the detector to acknowledge the download, other downloads lock up at a certain percentage, others like myself took forever (15 minutes).

When it doubt, check out Doc's post above and use that method.

Just a heads up. I have had several guys tell me their ferrite ring broke when throwing it on the ground. What I would suggest is to go to a Michaels craft store or other hobby house and get yourself some 2 part acrylic that people use to put bugs in, or coins, etc. Get some kind of a small contained that is a little larger than your ferrite ring.

I would use plastic as it is easier to get the cured acrylic to pop out of. So mix your two part acrylic pour it into your container and half full. Let it start to thicken a little. Then take your ferrite ring push it into the acrylic. Then let it cure until hard.

This will protect your ferrite ring and keep it from breaking.

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

Good suggestion. I heard they are pretty brittle and can break real easy. Some say the results so far with the Ferrite Ring don't seem to do much (mostly on US mineralization), while others mostly in OZ seem to see differences. I haven't seen anything that I have noticed using it here in Arizona, but I will still keep it with me just in case I hit some really bad ground.

Im sure there is a detector junk yard somewhere that you can get a old 5 1/2 floppy

to do a up grade on that :)

Try this....

Old detector crap.com

Tom H.