Some new bits with the Minelab GPZ 7000 - Summer is almost over!!

• Admin

Hello All,

Ran back out this weekend to give the GPZ 7000 one last whirl before we leave on a short vacation. The forecast was showing temps into the low 100's again, so headed a bit higher up to hopefully have a few more hours of hunting before the heat ran me out. The morning started slow once again, thinking I might be onto a "skunk trip." After pushing hard and hiking a bit further than anticipated, I hit a small batch of nuggets down deep. The total was 5 nuggets for just over 6 Grams of gold, but did hit one more small .25 Grammer right at the end not shown.

Can't wait for the Summer 100+ temps to get over. Looking forward to exploring new ground with the GPZ 7000 this Winter season.

post-2-0-98865500-1443372417_thumb.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Nice bunch of nuggets there Rob :)
I "was" going to try it today.....but it didn't happen.

I hear ya...tired of the heat.
Tom

• Admin

Hey Boulder Dash and others,

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'm fortunately enough to find gold as it's not any easier today than 20 years ago when I started. Luckily technology is on our side as the goldfields get worked harder and harder each year.

Wish I had more time to play.

• Admin

Hey Tortuga,

I would say back in the early 90's when the first Minelab PI's came out, it was easy. I think the reason being is the PI's were new technology, first to hit ground that was moderate to highly mineralized and had depth. The VLF's left so much gold behind, finding an ounce a day in some spots was common for awhile. I remember days with 20-30 nuggets from some locations, all pieces that were just beyond VLF range.

At some point, once you went over these places with that technology, the gold started to thin out, no different than today.

• Admin

Hey Tortuga,

The best part when the price of gold was low, was you could go almost anywhere. The amount of claims in known gold areas was 1/100's of what are there now. I think for the most part, most didn't have interests in gold when it was under about $600/ounce, so the guys that were chasing it could work areas you couldn't today due to claims and mining companies. I guess I was fortunate enough to be one of the guys with an early PI, on great unclaimed ground back when the price of gold was low.

Any of those early hunters that "banked" the gold nuggets they found at $400-600/ounce have doubled or tripled their investment! :P

I kind of wish gold was around $500 per ounce, as it was fun working those areas, which will probably not see many detectors anymore. :ph34r:

That's pretty awesome. Would probably have to go overseas to Africa or Siberia these days to find that kind of wide open, unclaimed territory.

Big ones are still out there tho, even in the pounded places. Just gotta look a lot harder for it ;)