best mode for the GPZ

I use the GPZ 7000 and do ok with it. I just have a question for someone who may know.

I find gold in Hi Yield and Difficult. If I switch to Hi Yield Normal soil , I can hear smaller , deeper gold . No doubt it will do better in Normal soil mode. The problem is the everything sounds like a signal and it is very hard to do. I have tried audio smoothing off in difficult and low on normal. The sens at 18.

How to use normal soil and not use difficult to get a more stable detector is the question? I do not want to back off the sensitivity but someone may have a threshold pitch or something that helps differentiate real targets from ground and what works for them. Obviously I like to run the detector hot.

I may not be able to get back to the topic for a few days so stay with me if you can.

This gold is for two days detecting and is just under an ounce, too busy to clean it ! Have to get back out there.

Thanks in advanced for tips on what you may use.

post-72061-0-41331700-1442894267_thumb.j

post-72061-0-96688900-1442894361_thumb.j

• Admin

Hello In the Mountains,

Well that is the tricky part as the mineralization in most places is different. I think there is no question you're getting more depth if you can keep the GPZ 7000 in Normal vs. Difficult, but in some places you have to either adjust to Difficult or lower the Sensitivity way down.

To be honest, many believe you have to have a "high sensitivity or gain" to achieve deep targets. I don't think this is absolutely true in moderate to high mineraliztion as you create more ground noise, making it much more difficult to hear those faint whispers. I recommend a lower sensitivity in "High Yield/Normal" if possible over Difficult.

It's really a game, a lot of experimentation on targets on different ground. It might come down to running the unit in one settings with a certain sensitivity, then doing it again another day with a different setting or sensitivity.

I really wish I had the right answer for you, but it's such a loaded question.

Thanks for sharing your finds. I'm sure other GPZ users will chime in!

I don't like to tune my GPZ so that it "runs silent".

Almost 100% of the time I run mine in high yield/normal ground/ auto smoothing off. I've just gotten used to all the sounds it makes. Sure I dig a lot of false signals, some have even been pretty deep. No matter how noisey your machine is, metallic targets will always punch through. So I guess just get used to the sounds and start digging more targets because the Z is a hot machine. Nice looking gold you've got there too. Looks like you're already doing really well.

I run my 7K in Normal most of the time permitting in High Yield or General-(less false targets in General) with the:

Sensitivity cranked up 18 and

adjust the Threshold down till its comfy.

Auto Smoothing Off if it gets too chatery then turn on AS.

If I remember I turn the auto tune to Manual.

the WM is usually cranked right up as well--I don't use headphones.

use a plastic spoon.

I use the ferrite to balance the machine.

keep the pick away from the coil as not to upset the machine--place the coil 90* to the hole

carry no jewellery or watches-- u don't need to upset the machine.

settings from down under.

regards

oneday

• Admin

Hey Guys,

The GPZ is a pretty amazing beast! I've been amazed on the nuggets/specimens I have found at depth, some super small.

I have experienced the same thing with Normal-High Yield. High Yield seems to be my favorite gold setting so far. I have experimented between Normal and Difficult and found Normal does much better on depth, but it's much more noisier. On very hot ground or bedrock, the Difficult just purrs.

I guess it's just preference and where you're hunting.

18 sensitivity? That is way way too high. No wonder it is so chattery. Back it down to like 13.

Personally I like to run High Yield, Ground Normal, but I have become a fan of smoothing on low. It seems to cut out all the inconsistent noise, but it does not effect repeatable target sounds. And I have found little little little gold. 1 grain pieces.

But right now I think your main issue is that sensitivity setting.

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I agree with you. Oneday is a very experienced detectorist, so I think he is experimenting with "hot" settings. I run a much lower Sensitivity and have had great success in my eyes with the GPZ 7000. I would rather hunt with a very smooth threshold, minimal if any background noise and play close attention for disturbances in the threshold or signal response.

Some non-traditional hunting styles include hunting with no threshold and a very high gain/sensitivity.

The Yellow Ground Balancing Ferrite Ring from Minelab helps maintain a smoother ground balance on very hot ground. If you don't have one yet, get a hold of your dealer and give it a try. Some places it might work ok, other places it might make all the difference.

Thank you for all the input. I was hoping that someone had a threshold setting or tone that helps. The target response is so good but I am running everything too high I suspect.

Targets are real loud and I have always run high threshold and sensitivity on all of my detectors. I have listened to gp5000 that people run with very little threshold, I don't like it but it works for them. This GPZ is a whole new animal. The combo of gain and Hi Yield ,General and sensitivity etc. will take a while to figure out. I get results and want to know what this detector can do. All combos people suggest are appreciated. Thank you.

I am not very good at the whole posting thing. I actually did mean to use the word MODE and not mod! I also left this photo out because I have stupid windows 8 without a touch screen. Sorry about that. Here are some of my most recent finds since posting this originally.

I may ask the question, Has anyone tried Severe MODE realizing they may not get some small gold but actually hit a nugget extremely deep that no other detector can see? I promise I will get better at posting....

post-72061-0-43845400-1444183383_thumb.j

• Admin

Hey Inthemountains,

I changed your title to "best mode for GPZ." I have had best luck with faint, deep targets with a low threshold vs. high, but haven't cranked the other settings up with a high threshold. I have heard some really like these hot settings, but I have always ran a low threshold and can't seem to get used to a high or overcranked settings on the PI's or GPZ.

A lot of combinations to play with for sure.