From the school of "NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING" Aluminum Coil Cover

So I have a customer who purchased one of my after market Coil Covers for the GPZ7000 machine.

You may have bought one of these covers from Rob.

He calls me and says this coil cover sucks! (Perplexing to me because I have gotten 12 trips of hard use out of this coil cover before having to replace it. It works great.)

I asked the customer "What is the problem?" He said, "It is making my coil false like crazy I can't even use it." I said how do you know it's the coil cover? He says because I took it off and it runs really smooth, I put it back on and it goes crazy again, I can't even touch the ground with it. It sounds like there are targets everywhere. I think the coil cover is squeezing the coil too tight.

I said NO, I doubt that is the problem. That coil cover fits perfectly. Let me think about this a minute.

I pick up a new coil cover from stock and I am looking at it, and all of a sudden it dawns on me,

"Sir, you did remember to remove the gold foil label inside the coil that says "Doc's Detecting Supply" right?"

"Ah, no, why does that make a difference?" Well would you put a pull tab between your coil cover and your coil, because that foil label has the same effect,

The customer says hold on I will peel it off. He peels it off puts the coil cover back on and SHAZAMM, the GPZ7000 is purring like a kitten.

STUPID ME! I assumed that everyone would know enough to peel off the gold foil label before putting the coil cover on the detector.

I'm an idiot!

Doc

Shoot I got one from Rob but I can't remember if I removed the sticker.

My GPZ is running fine tho so I probably did, or it wasn't there to begin with.

I wish I could pop my cover off like your customer did, mine's a tight fit.

Trust me it isn't there or you would know it. I put a cover with one of the stickers on my detector just to see if it would make a difference. You might as well drive a rail road spike through coil, it would not have sounded any worse. It totally makes the detector unusable.

But for future reference, the way you get those coil covers off is to use three popsicle sticks. Take a butter knife and pry the tab open and put a popsicle stick in it to hold it open. Do it with two more tabs and the cover with snap off.

Doc

Re: I've been wondering how your butter knives have been getting bent... :spank:

Always good to know how to do stuff. Doc always has an answer...

Still need to figure out how to get an SDC 2300 coil cover off without breaking it.

Gary

Re: I've been wondering how your butter knives have been getting bent... :spank:

Still need to figure out how to get an SDC 2300 coil cover off without breaking it.

Gary

I haven't had to change mine yet, so I have not faced that challenge.

Doc

Trust me it isn't there or you would know it. I put a cover with one of the stickers on my detector just to see if it would make a difference. You might as well drive a rail road spike through coil, it would not have sounded any worse. It totally makes the detector unusable.

But for future reference, the way you get those coil covers off is to use three popsicle sticks. Take a butter knife and pry the tab open and put a popsicle stick in it to hold it open. Do it with two more tabs and the cover with snap off.

Doc

That's a great idea, thanks!

Gary

I removed the coil cover once on my SDC to clean it and it got warped and bent out of shape.

Luckily replacement covers are only about $20 or so.

I taped up my replacement cover as best I could with scuff cover tape to try and keep the sand out. Unfortunately because of the design you can't keep the back of the cover taped up because it scrapes on the ground and the tape comes off after only an hour or so. I think it's part of the waterproof design to let the water drain out the back.

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I stopped eating Popsicle's when I was a kid! Oh, I have a 6 year old Daughter now, but she like Fudgesicles .... LOL

The coil covers are pretty tough to get off, but I really like the design. I've had other coil covers that you just bump and they would fall off new. You had to tape or glue them on.

Dear fellow forum members. I was chastised on another forum for this post because the person felt that I was implying my customer was somehow at fault.

That is the problem with the written word, it sometimes does not convey the tone of what you are trying say. I took a little literary license when writing this, and I was trying to be facetious and tongue in cheek when I said I assumed everyone would know to peel the foil label off. The problem is it doesn't look like foil, it's a It is a dull matte finish gold not shiny. But apparently it is a thin film of foil. I thought everyone would know I was accepting the blame by saying STUPID ME, and calling myself an idiot. I mean how dense can you be to unwittingly booby trap the coil cover, and leave my poor customer with a predicament in trying to figure out why his detector was not working. It was a really dumb move on my part. I use those labels on everything, and I actually thought they were printed in gold ink with black print. I had meant for this to be a somewhat humorous and informative post, that sort of reminds me that you just never know what will cause interference with your detector, so you need to be careful and think ahead.

In reading the original post over I can see the criticism of this post is well deserved and it could have come off as being flippant. Bottom line is if you see one of those foil labels that says Doc's Detecting, don't get it around your metal detector. Sorry for offending anyone.

So I posted this response in the other forum:

You are right, in re-reading my post I could have done a better job.

I was actually making fun of me. Because I am the "STUPID ME", and the Idiot for putting a foil label on it. I didn't even think of the fact that it was a foil label and someone might not remove the label. I mean it took me a few minutes to figure out what the problem was. This isn't on the customer. It's not the customer's job to figure out my stupidity.

It was just stupid of me to even put anything on a coil cover that could interfere with the detector. Buying an accessory item shouldn't have booby traps on it that make it harder for the customer.

#1. I should not have used a foil label #2. Customers should not have to play a guessing came about the items I sell. Not all customers are as anal as I am and I should not expect them to remove all the labels. The fault is mine for assuming. Not the customers. #3 My intent was not to make fun of my customer, and perhaps my telling of the story was not worded very well. My customer and I both had a good laugh over the story and he was aware that I intended to post in on the forum. I was the idiot for putting a foil label on the coil cover in the first place.

Obviously the telephone conversation was much more light-hearted and comical. I actually said to the customer, Oh no! I bet I know the problem, I'm an idiot, I put a gold label that says Doc's Detecting on the coil cover, I'm wondering if that could be the problem. Did you remove it or is it still there? He said it's still there. I said oh come on, "You didn't remove the metal label that I put on there? Did you take the pull tab off? What about the horse shoe I taped on there with duct tape?... I'll bet you anything that is the problem. I am so stupid." (By the way at the time I did not know that the label is actually foil, I thought it was printed gold background with black lettering. I have used thousands of these labels, I put them on everything, I have just never put them on coil covers before, and I won't do it again) It doesn't look like foil, but apparently it has a thin gold foil layer. Whatever it sure causes havoc with the detector. I apologized to the customer, and told him this is my fault I am so sorry that he had to jump through hoops with this coil cover. "However, I am really happy you called me because I wonder how many other guys have had this same issue? Obviously I have to get different labels, or maybe label them with dog tags, do you think that would interfere with the machine much?" And he laughed and said, I think plain paper labels would be the way to go.

But your point is well taken. I'm sorry my post read the way it did. My intent was not to make my customer look stupid, it was me. The next time I went to change my own coil cover I could have just as easily grabbed a cover out of stock, and not thought to remove the label either. I mean it's not like it's in the way or would be visible when the coil cover was snapped on to the coil, most people would never think to peel it off.

So thank you for bringing this to my attention. Sometimes the written word is inadequate to relate the tone in which it was written. I am laughing while I am typing it, in a sort of tongue in cheek style, wondering if I could be any more dense in trying to confuse the crap out of my customer, and you are reading it with a furrowed brow thinking, what an asshole Doc is.

I am not perfect, but I work on being better every day. I don't think you will find any of my customers that are unhappy that they have done business with me. I twist myself in a knot to help my customers whenever and where ever they need help.

Doc

I have been scrubbing the ground with the GPZ7000 since I got it and it has been working great for me. That being said, I only got six trips out of the stock coil cover, it wore right through. But those were 6 - 8 hour plus days.

I personally could not imagine having to hold that machine off the ground. Plus the fact on some of those micronuggets, when first hearing them I would raise the coil off the ground to see how far I could get off the ground before I lost the target. On those little 1/10th of a gram nugget, I couldn't hear them an inch off the deck when I could hear them flat on the ground.

Doc

Doc, don't sweat the small stuff. We all know you and know that you wouldn't intentionally offend a customer. Your reputation precedes you and it's a good one. You know that just by living you are going to offend someone. Like to review the background of the guy that took exception to your post. 'Keep on keepin on'.

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I'm with Old Tom on this one, don't sweat the small stuff. It's easy for someone to read into a post, but I think the majority of us understood you were just "have fun with it," and when you mentioned you talked with the customer that was enough for me to know that you were not making fun or offending the customer on the forum.