Getting back in.

After the crash I had to sell my ML 4000. Ready to get going again finally. I have seen great buys on used GPX5000 lately and now the GPX4500 is back. Is there really much difference in the two? I have seen 5000s go for as low as $2700 but was not ready to buy. Anyway I have gotten fatter and need to lose some weight and I know just the hobby to do that.

Welcome back, all I can say is people upgrade for a reason and the 5000 is an upgrade over the 4500. But the difference between the two is pretty small. The fine gold timing and custom setting sure make things nice and only come with the 5000. On the other hand a new 4500 and new warranty is nice as well.

AJ

• Admin

Hey Ringer,

I will give you my advice from a dealer and metal detectorist stand point. I have been using the Minelab metal detectors for over 20 years, been a dealer for about 17. Either of the GPX detectors you mentioned are great (GPX 4500 or GPX 5000). No question you will have a few more features on the GPX 5000 and an additional 11-inch coil. The GPX 5000 give you a few more timing options and more user control overall then the GPX 4500. That being said, new GPX 5000's are $5795.00. You can probably find a few used ones for $3000+ with minimal to no warranty.

The new deal on the GPX 4500, which is call the Univeral Package is awesome at $2699.00. Keep in mind, you also get the 15x12 Commander Mono, which is a bulletproof Minelab coil. This is a $350 value added into the price. You're really getting the detector for around $2350.00 if you take away the price of the coil.

For someone that is very experienced and spends the detailed time on the extra function will benefit. The question is how much over the GPX 4500, which is a question we really can't answer honestly.

I think some key points to figure are the following -

• How does the warranty plan a role in your purchase (faulty Minelab repairs can be expensive outside of warranty. However, most last forever without a single issue).
  • Your budget, or what you can afford on a metal detector. New units $2699.00 vs. $5795.00.
  • How much you find value in some of the other features the GPX 5000 has (Fine Gold Timing, extra searchcoil, more flexibility in all adjustments)

I think you will have great success with both. Either or you couldn't go wrong with.

The new Coiltek 14-inch Round Camo Elite Searchcoil would be something to consider at some point. The reports in Australia alone are pretty amazing. Some are "claiming" better than the $10,000 GPZ 7000.

I'm considering a package with this coil on either GPX unit in the near future.

Wishing you the best!

• Admin

Hey Chuck,

You ordered one? LOL ..... I have it here packed up. It will ship Monday, couldn't get it out quick enough today. Thanks once again for your business.

P.S. Speaking of warranties and out of warranty items. A customer called this week and mentioned he had a GP3500. He said he hasn't used it in years, but it won't power on. He tried everything, different cords, batteries, headphones .... It's the detector. I told him I didn't think Minelab supported that unit, so he called and it was true, they non longer repair GP series detectors. I told him to call Kellyco, as they do some repairs and that was a "no dice." He called all around, finally found someone in OZ that would repair it for $500.00. Just shows how important a warranty can be for at least the first 3 years.

Rob I just read on one of the OZ forums that Minelab Aus. still repairs the GP series. He may want to sent them a email to check before sending it to a third party. Correction I read on Steve's forum. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1180-why-cant-i-get-spare-batteries-for-my-gpz-7000/ post 14

Edited by way2cool