Thanks Jim Straight - Received Richard Doherty's First Newsletter

• Admin

Hello All,

I have to send a big "Thank You" out to Jim Straight. He is my long-time mentor when it comes to searching for gold and gold geology. During my early years of studying Economic Geology, Jim was a huge help beyond searching for gold. That all being said, this is what the thread is really about below -

Back in the early 90's I spent majority of my time dredging the major drainages of Arizona with fair success. I worked my butt off and might have got a Gram or so a day behind a 4-inch Gold King Dredge with Dual 5hp motors. Weekend after weekend I was hammering it, making holes large enough to sink full sized pickup trucks. Many of my dredge holes were 5-8 foot wide, various depth to bedrock and many yards long. All that hard work, majority of the gold was small flakes and fines with maybe an occasional small gold nugget.

One weekend I decided to take my Tesoro Lobo up into the Bradshaw's as I heard about decent sized nuggets being found. I might of has the patience to detect for an hour, digging everything but gold nuggets with the Lobo. I was frustrated to say the least, but would attempt it from time to time, but managed to always go back to the dredge nozzle.

That weekend I remember seeing a "Metal Detecting" sign along a store in Rock Springs, Arizona, so I thought it was worth taking a look. I walked into this small store and browsed around. There was a glass display and behind it was hundreds gold nuggets from the size of a piece of rice to pretty decent pieces. The guy running the store (Richard Doherty) introduced himself and was very pleasant. I asked him about the nuggets and he said he found all of them in the hills within 10 minutes away. I couldn't believe it, I worked for months and might have found one or two of those pieces, so I knew I had to learn to master metal detecting.

Richard, not only took me under his wing, but taught me over the course of several years how to become a very successful nuggetshooter. I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing now without Richard's help. He is a true inspiration, master metal detectorist and the best instructor one could ask for.

As life takes its toll on people, Richard had financial issues and family health issues that drove him to depression. It was very sad, as Richard was one of the more intelligent people I have ever met, besides all the other great qualities. Richard and I talked a bunch during these times and he would even start crying. One weekend he was so down and out, it took several hours of talking about metal detecting and old times together with friends to bring his spirits back up. Towards the end of our talk, we both talked about writing a newsletter, which he once done in the past. He said the newsletter he wrote was a big hit and really drove a lot of guys to the shop. He met hundreds of new friends from the newsletter and it seemed to really help new guys learn about the wonderful hobby of metal detecting for gold. Before I left, we both had a plan to really get some ideas and articles together for this new project we had planned. I was excited, as I knew working with Richard would help both of us and the hobby.

Unfortunately, a few days later I received tragic news that Richard took his own life. It about crushed me, as when I left that weekend I really felt he was in a positive place and it was going to get better. I don't know what was on Richard's mind, but I think about him all the time when I'm out swinging. I still hear his voice in my head at times and hunt some of the same places we hunted together. I can picture Richard on the hill above me and places I knew he sat and observed me detect.

The Legend of Richard Doherty will always live as long as I and a few others are swinging our sticks out there.

Now we fast forward many years and I receive a package from Jim Straight. Low and Behold, it's Richards "First Newsletter, Volume 1, edition 1" from the early 90's. It was hard to read the newsletter, as there are several articles from Richard in the newsletter and it was written with the same passion as when I first met him.

Richard, I'm writing this in hopes that where ever you might be roaming, you will know that guys like myself will never forget what you taught us! Even though we never got to write the newsletter, I promise to pass on what I learned to guys that really want to learn.

Thanks you Jim for the newsletter. God bless both you guys, you both are my mentors and best friends.

• Like 1

Great story. You must have been quite a young man back then. I wish I was interested in prospecting back in my early twenties. Too busy surfing out in California and chasing girls.

Depression is a tough thing and I'm sorry to hear your friend suffered from it. It can make you feel completely alone in the world sometimes and only family and friends can keep you going.

The good news is I can say with certainty that you're definitely passing along your friend's spirit of being a great teacher and mentor.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure we all have experienced a friend or family member in this situation. All I can say, don't just walk away, do what you can to help. Looking back at the situation, could I have done more to prevent it, I'm not sure. If I would have known the outcome, I would have done anything to save this guy.

Sometimes when a person feels someone is "listening to them" it can make a world of difference in their life.

For all the great guys/gals that have passed, I haven't forgotten you. For all the great people I'm going to meet in the future, I'm looking forward to that moment.

Golden Trails for all of you! ;)

I got to meet Richard a few months before he passed when his running buddy and claim partner, Larry, introduced us... Larry worked for me when I was managing the propane company in Congress ... Richard was very generous and during the four or so hunts I got the pleasure of having with him, he showed me several good patches and also gave me lots of detecting and prospecting tips ... The last time I saw him, he, Larry and I had breakfast at the Rock Springs Cafe ... Richard was very upset about something that morning and teared up several times ... Larry knew what was wrong, but I felt it would be disrespectful of me to inquire ... But I will always be grateful for the few times I had the honor of hunting with a legend. .... Cheers, Unc

I knew Richard and Elizabeth early on at the GPAA gold shows and Richard liked my first edition of

"Follow the Drywashers" and he ordered them from Mountain Publications as they (Richard and Elizabeth)

were the first USA distributers of Minelab detectors... Richard put a copy in the box of every Minelab

they sold as one of the freebies...

Richard was a true LEGEND and a good friend of Rob's and I know Richard will always hold a special part

in ROB'S heart... Richard said to me my booklet "was the only one that said something." I also treasure my

past remembers of Richard as my small 33 booklet that was originally rejected by Western & Eastern

Treasures (3500 words) has grown to be "The Nuggetshooter's Bible" Volume 3 Seventh Edition and still is

selling well.

DEPRESSION IS SEROUS... We must always be positive... God Bless all of us... jim

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Jim,

Funny you mentioned that, Richard said there was a lot of book out there, but Jim Straight's were worth the weight in gold. No questions the way you write, the passion you share and your experience makes your books stand over most. Richard and I both know it!

Uncle Ron - It's amazing how many people Richard reached out to.

Nugget108 - Thanks my friend.

I stopped to pick Richard the morning before he took his life and he was in such a fowl mood that I didn't recognize him, I left and went out without him, I think back and wish that I had hung around that day and tried to talk to him a little but he was so nasty and that was not the man I knew and had spent so much time detecting with that I just thought it better to leave him to work it out. I know now that when someone is that out of character that you have to be there for them, better that they vent on you than the alternative, but I had never been around depression of that level. Every time I hit one of those sweet tones I can hear him with his little "uh-huh" like he always did when he knew it was a good one. Anyone that ever hunted with him knew they were with a true master of gold hunting. Sure miss the old boy.

Gosh the saga goes on about Richard. For those who happen to have a copy of

Follow the Drywashers which has morphed into Volume 3 "The Nuggetshooter's

Bible (all editions) go to section 27e, "The GT-16 'ground tracker'" on pg. 287.

Here it is documented that Richard and Elizabeth Doherty as the 'Gold Dust Twins'

were the first to import a ground tracking VLF-type metal detector from Minelab

(Australia) to the USA.

• 10 months later...

I have a lot of appreciation for Richard. I use to stop by frequently at the Gold Dust Twins in Rock Springs and show him and Liz all of the bullets, bird shot and what nots that I found while chasing nuggets with my Tesoro Eldorado. Richard would keep giving me encouragement, saying if I was finding that kind of stuff that I would find gold when my coil passed over it. He also said that the first nugget with a detector was the hardest. He was right...sure enough while out at Quarztsite I found my first nuggie, a 3 grainer. Richard was demonstrating the new GT-16000 at  Quarztsite so I stopped by and showed him my find. He smiled and said that they will start coming a little easier now and he was right again. I found my second one the next weekend in the LSD area. I owe a lot to Richard for his help, also Frugal Floyd Allen too. Great mentors they were. I miss them.   Jim

• Like 1

• Admin

Hey Jim,

Not sure if we ever met, but Richard really touched a lot of prospectors out there.  I still think about when he used to say, "You have to make the gold."  I never understood it first, but he meant if you didn't believe it was there or had any confidence in your equipment and yourself finding it, you would never find it! 

Great to have you on the forums SanDomingo Jim.  Would love to hear any other stories you might have about Richard or any other adventures you're willing to share with us.  

Thanks Rob. I appreciate the welcome. I've mostly dredged, drywashed and detected the Bradshaws, San Domingo, and a few other remote areas around the state. Our paths probably crossed more that once out there. My memory is little fuzzy now especially dates. I joined the Roadrunners shortly after they started. I think it was Bob Sickler that signed me up. He had a prospecting store on east Indian School Rd if memory serves me right??  I used to deal also with Frank Lynn and before him "Charlie Brown" over on 43rd ave. 

I see that you have an online store so I'm sure I will be visiting it very soon.  Thanks again,  Jim

• Admin

Hey Jim,

Ya, we probably have and didn't even know it.  A friend of mine told me about another prospecting store beyond "Arizona Al's" on 43rd ave, this might be the one you're speaking about.  Frank Lynn was at A&B, a few friends of mine knew him very well.  

Yes, have the online store, Ebay store and the forums here.  If you ever need anything, look me up.