I spend a bit of time in Payson camping/fishing and noticed that there are actually a few claims in the area. I decided to swing by the Rangers Office to ask about metal detecting and was surprised to find out that it is allowed on National Forest (at least this one).

Anyone every do any detecting in the Payson area? I have been run out by the heat from my usual spot and am looking for some cooler climates to detect.

This might help..

Try typing in......gold and copper deposits near payson arizona

It will bring up a PDF file of a book that gives a lot of info.

Good luck!
Tom H.

Yep we can detect in OUR national forest. We can NEVER create a signifigant disturbance , while only using a detector and our usual hand tools. If your aproached, your either prospecting, or looking for coins...where you can get in trouble, is if your caught with historic artifacts. Your tax dollars pay for it, use it.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I never heard of guys having issues "recreational mining" around the Payson area. Here are my thoughts ....

Today society "in my opinion" has everyone brainwashed that a simple footprint in the desert will destroy thousands of acres of land. For the most part, people like myself respect God, Mother Nature and the Land, so we have no reason to hurt or destroy. Yes, there are a few exceptions out there that believe just the opposite.

New law enforcement officers, such as Forest Rangers are being brought up and taught by Environmental Groups and then they go out as a "gun hoe" ranger trying to throw around their badge of power.

I have ran into guys like this in the field, BLM and Forest Rangers, trying to toss people out. When you ask them, what do you do for recreation, they get real defensive. Seems as if they are ok if they bring their family out quading, camping, fishing or whatever, it's OK.

Almost like the NIMBY deal, NOT IN MY BACK YARD!

Ok, I'm just ranting I guess.

The ranger had to dig up the info and print it out for me. I'll see if I can post pics of the docs. She did seem hesitant to help me, but the receptionist (older lady) was very helpful and even told me of the rose Quartz area that people visit. And yes this rose quartz area has a claim.

Like most places you need to be aware of claims in the area. No issues with the local leo's. Lots of claims in the area, but also plenty open ground as well. Unfortunately these areas are still in the desert and still rather hot at this time of year. We've been upper 90's in Payson the last few weeks, and the desert below has been 100+ so not easy hunting for sure.

We also have plenty of aggressive rattlers, even Mojave, so be aware and careful. Monsoon season is coming and the roads out there can get really nasty snotty when wet. Although most are easily accessed with 2wd, a monsoon storm can make navigation without 4wd dang near impossible.

Since I live in Payson, I have been fortunate enough to find a few good areas with detectable gold. Sorry to say if you land someplace I have been, you might not find much, lol. Nobody ever gets it all, but I am very thorough. Dennis