"Get Us Through the Summer" stories/finds

• Admin

Hey All,

Typically the Summer are the slow time on the forums as less detectorist are out swinging. Figured this would be an excellent time to reach out to the forum members as ask for stories/finds to get us through the slow Summer season.

If anyone would love to share a story without or without finds, we all would love to read it.

I will try to dig up some old pictures and short stories myself.

Thanks in advance!

No one would believe my stories :)
Tom H.

Rob, here is a short one. And totally true, to boot. One day I had accumulated about a dozen pieces of trash when I got the next signal amidst some small rocks. As I was picking up one of the rocks a small scorpion emerged from under that rock. I had nearly touched it with my fingertips. I have a "live and let live" attitude, so I let it scurry away. The recovered target was a decent specimen of the Most Happy Yellow Metal. Maybe 20 pieces of trash later I got another signal, as digging it ANOTHER scorpion was encountered, who also escaped unmolested. That target, too, was of a gratifyingly yellow color. Later that day as I was digging perhaps my 50th target, yep, you guessed it, scorpion number three, AND nugget number three. Three nuggets, three scorpions. Scorpion gold. HH Jim

There are always a dedicated group of hardy prospectors and miners who will

brave the summer heat. But for thos who do, remember we are in a trend of

global warming and be extra careful...

It could be of help to also check out the Pyramid Nugget post. It was bumped as the

first post is a good story.... Nice reading the entire thread... jim

It could be of help to also check out the Pyramid Nugget post. It was bumped as the

first post is a good story.... Nice reading the entire thread... jim

Hey Jim,

Thanks for bumping the "Pyramid Nugget" post back up, it's a great read.

Thanks to both of you "legends" for your comments! I don't post a whole lot these days beacuse I really don't get to prospect much at all. My kids are at the ages of 7 and 9 and most of my free time is spent coaching their soccer, baseball, and other events that kids do. I just don't want to be the Dad that misses all the great years of being a parent. It's already going by so fast. The gold will always be there for me when the kids are away in college!

I do visit this forum on a daily basis to keep in touch with all the great information and posts that keep my " gold fever" boiling hot and appreciate all the work that is put in to keep this forum what it is. Seeing all the nice gold being found is sure nice.

My family wanted to do something of my choice for Father's Day so we went up to the Downieville area for a night. At the top of the list was teaching them to pan for gold. I forgot to bring some flakes "just in case," but we didn't need them! We found quite a bit of gold on a little bedrock "bench" that I had dredged during a high water year, but could not clean it all up back then and it made for a perfect spot to dig. We found so many flakes, we set up a sluice box in the creek. All I heard about on the drive home was "when we can get the dredge out?" Hopefully soon! I think a metal detector is on the list for my son's upcoming birthday present.

Best wishes to all!

• Admin

Hey Matt,

Great to have you posting on the forums again.

I have to agree, my beautiful daughter is now 6. I have to admit, due to the nature of my day job, I spent a lot of her younger years on the road. I missed a lot of precious times that I will never get back. Thank GOD about 6 months ago I was fortunate to land a job in a different department that allowed me to challenge myself even more, but most importantly be home every night! My Daughter and I are like to "peas in a pod," in her terms BFF's or Best Friend's Forever.

To think I put work and chasing gold before her was crazy. No amount of gold or work is worth more than a relationship with your children.

The toughest challenge is to balance it all. I have to balance my day job, business, family life and detecting. I haven't figured out the "perfect"balance, but it's 100x better that what it was.

There are times when I want to get out, but other things are more important. Then there are other times when the wife says, "Aren't you going detecting this weekend?" YES!!!! :o