Nugget 1 of 4 May 20, Video

Did some settings testing before I dug this nugget up. I was really suprised that I was actually able to hear this nugget in all three modes.

HIGH YIELD, GENERAL, and DEEP GOLD.

Surprised me because the nugget was only .45 gram, but it was pretty deep.

Thank you for watching and thank you for your comments.

Doc

Fun Stuff. Thanks for sharing - its a lot of work to film and then do up these videos. I was out in Northern Nevada recently and found what I was pretty sure was a nugget with my GPZ, and Steve Herschbach was with me, so we got out the camera and filmed me digging it - and just as I got the target in the scoop, the batteries died! Oh well! It was indeed a nugget and weighed around half a gram, but that find will never turn into a video.

Hi Chris, you are so right. It is a pain.

The camera I am using is primarily a still shot camera, but the video and audio quality are so good. However, a battery will only give me about 20 minutes of recording time so I am carrying a bunch of batteries.

People don't see the stuff that ends up on the editing floor. You know the nail you dig at 13 inches that results in you cussing like a drunk sailor for 5 minutes.

Once you have the video then you have to edit it, cutting out the non-sense, and the sections where you are obviously talking, not to the camera, but to yourself, like a crazed mad man. You have to speed up the parts where you chased the nugget around in the pile of dirt, because it's a dink and it keeps moving.

Then once it is edited it has to be produced. The editing and production takes about an hour for a 15 minute movie. Then you have to upload it to You Tube which takes on the average 30 to 40 minutes for a 15 minute video. So yes, it is pretty darn time intensive.

However, I think YOUTUBE videos are a fantastic learning medium for prospectors, and a great marketing tool.

I use You Tube for a lot of things. I just invested in a new Video Camera and I used YOUTUBE to get a good feel of what people thought about the various action cams out there. The positive and the negative.

It is an amazing resource.

Thanks Chris,

Take care!

Doc

BTW this is the camera I decided on. Good recording time, waterproof without a case. Don't care about the waterproof aspect but if it is waterproof it is dust proof. I like the viewing screen on the top because when I am orienting the camera on the tripod I can look at the top of the camera to make sure I am getting the shot. Has a great attachment point as it comes with a short leash with a carabiner that I can just attach to my "D" ring. And it is very reasonable at $149.

ricoh_08288_wg_m1_compact_digital_camera

I use You Tube for a lot of things. I just invested in a new Video Camera and I used YOUTUBE to get a good feel of what people thought about the various action cams out there. The positive and the negative.

Hey Doc... might I suggest a chest harness or a helmet cam. It sure beats dragging around a tripod (already BTDT) and having to continually take time to make sure you're getting that perfect shot. Like you, I was looking for a small "waterproof" camera to film my prospecting adventures. After comparing just about every make and model out there, I finally settled on this. This camera shoots videos just as good as the GoPros (the industry standard) for 1/3 of the price. It's a very compact and simple to use unit, and for the most part I hardly even know that I'm wearing it. Given that I've had many friends trash their GoPros from crashing their bikes, or losing them after hitting a tree branch... I figured if I did the same, then I wouldn't be out all that much money

Here's the chest rig that I use when out in the field shooting my videos. It's so comfortable, you don't even know you're wearing it. Takes about a minute to put it on and mount the camera. I also rigged me up a really nice helmet cam to compliment the chest harness. Believe it or not, but I found the best helmet to mount a camera to was an equestrian helmet. Being that I'm out here in the desert, I didn't want to wear my regular dirt biking helmet, as it was just way too hot and bulky when riding at slow speeds and trying to prospect. I tried a bicycle helmet and it was just way too dorky looking for my tastes, and was too thick and bulky (mostly all styrofoam) and didn't offer any good mounting points. I also tried a hard hat. It was way too flimsy and moved around too much just like the bicycle helmet did. The equestrian helmet I chose is light weight and has a "cool max" liner that wicks away the sweat. It buckles tight and solid like a motorcycle helmet, and it doesn't move around like the bicycle and hard hat did. It offers enough cooling and ventilation that I can comfortably wear it all day long whether riding or swinging a detector. I think either (or both) of these options would definitely be worth considering if you plan on making more videos of your prospecting adventures.

Here's some video I shot that shows how easy it is to use the chest rig. I'm not much of an orator and prefer to let the scenery do my speaking for me. Even though the camera can shoot at 1080p, I always shoot at 720p @ 60 fps. I still get good resolution at that setting with very little artifacts or skipping. Good luck with your videos. I enjoy watching them... ;)

Make sure to set your YT settings to 720HD for best resolution...

Do appreciate the videos Doc. :)
That nug sure was deep! But im sure my 5000 would have heard it and louder then the 7000.....NOT! :)
That 7000 sure does find deep stuff.

I use a piece of 1/4 all thread about 8 inches long, filed to a point on one end.

Just screw it in the bottom of the camera...push it in the ground and your off and running.

Tom H.

AZBlackbird - Neat little camera. I have an old Go-Pro with all of the accessories, it works really well with the exception that the audio sucks. I also have the modification so that I can mount this new camera on a chest mount, or helmet. But the Gorilla pod works pretty well.

I enjoy doing the videos. They work extremely well for new customers as a supplement to their field training. New customers want to see nuggets being dug. But I also try to provide a little education about why I look in certain spots and what kind of conditions you find gold in. For all the old timers I am sure it is very boring, because they already now this stuff. But it is important to let newbies see that there is still gold out there. And you can consistently find gold if you know where to look.

Thanks for the great information.

Tom, that's a great idea. Of course with my luck I would fall on it and impale myself.

Doc

BTW when I am talking about a tripod I am not talking about a full size tripod. This is a Gorilla Pod, it fits in my hip pocket. You can wrap it around anything. It has a quick release tab, so the tab stays screwed into the camera and you just snap it onto the tripod. Only takes a second to do.

55ae00e0-2f3f-45e0-adec-be94329a584a.jpg

Blackbird, you are a smart guy. I see you have your SPOT. Best insurance money can buy.

Yep, I've had the SPOT since they first came out. Cheap insurance if things go sideways when out in the boonies. I left instructions with my S.O. to have them send a helicopter no questions asked if I hit the SOS button, as most likely I'm in a spot that only a good horseman or dirt bike rider would be able to access. I like that gorilla pod, may have to pick one of those up myself. I have a little mini tripod that I carry in my fanny pack, but it don't wrap around anything. I usually just sit it on a rock or in a tree if I'm shooting video of myself.