Video on Doing Specific Gravity Tests on 3 Specimens

Here is the You Tube Video.

My son told me that the weight of an item suspended in water is different than the weight of the item simply lying in the bottom of a jar filled with water.

He said remember, you are trying to determine the "PULL" or the amount of force gravity exerts on the object when it is in water. Water, being a constant has a certain density. When you displace the water with the specimen, that water being pushed aside has a weight which pushes back on all surfaces of the specimen. It buoys it up to a certain degree depending upon it's SPECIFIC GRAVITY.

You are not trying to measure it's weight in water, just the pull of gravity that is exerted on on the item when it is suspended in water.

BCOT!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

Good video on specific gravity. I use a Triple Beam, but have used my digital using a method you shown on the video. It gets a bit more complex and you have to have larger equipment to weigh specimens like the one pictured below. I found a ledge of this stuff, the piece shown has a 1/2 ounce nugget sticking out one side. Good example of where gold nuggets come from.

post-2-0-91029900-1431310558_thumb.jpg

As far as "where gold comes from." When I am having a good day I feel like I have a pretty good handle on understanding where gold comes from.

Then there are those days that humble you, and make you feel like you have no idea where gold comes from, where it goes to or where it could be found. You know, it's the "couldn't find my arse with both hands" kinda' feeling.

Don't want to talk about it too much, don't want to jinx myself.

Doc

Thanks for the video of the calculating the gold content of the specimens. :)

Doc the reason you suspend the specimen is because everything weights less when suspended in water because of buoyancy, if you weight the piece in the water but not suspended you are just adding the dry weight of the piece to the weight of the water and container, thus when you tare out the scale after placing the water and container on the scale then add the piece you should get the same weight as when just weighting the piece dry because the piece is now pushing down on the bottom of the container and the weight of the piece is not affected by it's buoyancy in water.

Thanks for the video of the calculating the gold content of the specimens. :)

Doc the reason you suspend the specimen is because everything weights less when suspended in water because of buoyancy, if you weight the piece in the water but not suspended you are just adding the dry weight of the piece to the weight of the water and container, thus when you tare out the scale after placing the water and container on the scale then add the piece you should get the same weight as when just weighting the piece dry because the piece is now pushing down on the bottom of the container and the weight of the piece is not affected by it's buoyancy in water.

Yes that is exactly how my son explained it. If I had thought about it a minute it would have dawned on me. Same principle as putting lead weights on yourself to get yourself neutrally buoyant in the water when you scuba dive. The water exerts pressure on the specimen and, as you said, buoys it up.

Doc

Thanks for the video Doc. Your pool and backyard looks nice.

Thank you! Being a psychologist has been very good to me. Our home and pool certainly did not get paid for from finding gold. I think the gold may have paid for one of the palm trees. :)

Doc