gold bug pro prob...hwlp

Help.. Went out friday amd did aome beeping. Took my dad and his gold bug pro. He has the big coil the dp coil. For some reaso. We cant get it to pick up my test nugg. I used one that weighs .7 grams. The only way it will even make any kind of signalnis if we turn the gain all the way up. Is it cause this coil isnt very sensitive or is the gb pro a bigger nugg detector. He finds lead amd casings mo prob. Ive read the manual. Tried everything i could. Its just not tuning in to it. Hes not very skilled at detwcting. I got this for him cause it was supposed to be am easy machine and gd on gold. Will getting hom a different coil make a big difference ir should i sellnit and get him that nokta fors gold i see doing well on all sizes.

John

I just looked it up and the "Gold Bug Pro DP" comes with a big 11" DD coil. That's a really big coil for that detector, it's more like a deep iron relic/meteorite hunting coil. I believe that's the standard coil on the Fisher F75.

Try putting the little 5" round coil or 10" DD coil on it if you've got them. Or have your dad pick one up, they aren't very expensive.

Those coils will scream on little nuggets like that, which is what the Gold Bug Pro was made for.

My dad uses the 6 inch round on his GBpro. Hes finding #9 birdshot with it :)
Tom

I also think it must be the coil. My GBP will scream on a .4gr nugget with either the 4" or the 10" coil. The nugget mentioned was actually found with the 4" coil about 3" deep between the rocks near Congress Az last year.

Bill

I bought my gb pro 4 years ago as a dp with 11" coil. Its not so good on tiny gold. 10" fisher coil will find subgrain just as good as 5" coil. But my wife and i had 3 10" fisher coils go bad. They leak. Then they chatter like crazy after leaking. The best coil for gb pro hands down is the NEL coils. And best warranty. 2 years. Fisher only 1 year. The NEL sharpshooter is 9.5" x 5.5" its compareable in size to fisher 10". I have 3 Nel coils. The hunter coil from nel is good too; but misses tiny gold sometimes. It is almost 13" coil. But the sharpshooter coil is very hot on all sizes of gold and deeper. Then any coil for gb pro out there. The Nel coils run quieter in bad mineralization as well. Unfortunetly I tried every brand coil for gb pro. Fisher, detech, mars tiger, sef; and Nel for our gb pros. And the rest didnt do much. Just Nel. If you can afford to get a deeper vlf like fors gold. Get the Nel sharpshooter for gb pro. Its a deadly combo on all sizes of gold.

It will screamn on a penny or nickle ect. I will pixk him up a couple used ones as mentioned or maybe at least one of them new before we guve up on it. I wish he would let me get him a used 5000. If i pick up a 7000 ill try and get him to swi gy 5000. He just likes it cause its real light and he has a nad leg so he dont stay on it as long.

John

John, honor your father on his wish to continue with the GB Pro. That is what I use and I have a lot of fun with it. My son has often asked me if I would want a 5000 and I tell him that if I had to carry that thing all day I would give up prospecting. I'm 81 now and the pro is just the ticket for me and I think your father. It's not a about all the gold you can get, sometimes you just want to be out there with your son doing the same thing for as long as you can. I get a nugget here and there and get to dig up some of the ones he detects with the 5000. We work as a team and have a ball every time we go out. We just don't work too close to each other.

Old Tom :)

thanks tom, any ideas what would be his best bet on a coil.... we only detect in the randsburg area of Ca and we do go accasionally to quartzite Az. we have access to a trailer there family owns so we use the quartzite metal detectors club claims. i hear the 5 inch and i hear the 6x10. we had a chance when we bought it to get what coil we wanted and he doesnt like a tiny coil, hes learning and doesnt understand that its not all about coverage but patience and just getting over a nugget. but it definately needs to hear it to be able to get it.

john