Welcome Home Vietnam Vets

Hey Rob, they just past this, Thanks. I have a hard time with people coming up and thanking me for my service, Until the past few years, no one cared. In fact when I fist got home from nam, I was put down because of my service. 45 yeas later, its a different ball game. Thank you again. Grubstake

Thank you Rob for posting this. All of us from that period of time who served in the military whether we went overseas or remained stateside suffered because we were part of the 'problem'! or so many people thought. What a lot of folks don't know is that many of our troops mustering out of the service during that period of time flew home wearing their uniform proudly only to hit the first bathroom they came to and changed into civies ditching their uniform in the trash to avoid the boo's and being spat upon! It was a hard time to serve our country but we did it because it was the right thing to do! We are all proud of our service to our country and appreciate the thanks we have received over the past few years although like Gary(Grubstake1) stated it is hard sometimes to accept 'thanks for your service' for me ... it hits a bit of an emotional chord!

Thanks again Rob for posting!

Mike F

A simple, heart-felt THANK YOU to all you guys who served and sacrificed! This country can never reward you enough nor apologize enough for the actions of some idiots ... But the great heartland of America never felt that way toward you and that's the truth! Cheers, Unc

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I never served, broke the 3rd Generation Tradition by not going into the Marines. I decided to try College instead, only had two choices the Military or College or "get out of the house." :o

That being said, My Father served with his two Brothers and Sister in the Marines during Viet Nam. I still remember all the "flash backs" he would have during the nights. It was a scary period of time as a kid hearing your Father get up and scream "Grenade!!"

My dad was in Vietnam too, Army medic. I didn't serve either, went to college instead but aren't using my degree anymore in the career I'm in now. Looking back I think joining the military might have been a better fit for me.

Even tried getting into Army OCS a few years after college but didn't get through MEPS because of my crappy hearing :P If I was still college age I think I could have passed because I could still hear pretty good back then.

I was drafted in '66 along with four other high school buddies ... I had a dislocated shoulder that wouldn't stay in the socket so was not inducted ... Two of the five of us didn't come home... Larry Keeling and David Storm, plus another younger guy I didn't know from my school .. 66 and 67 were rough years! ... Unc