Indian Rock Art Book--Collectors Item

Yo All ... Decided to make a stab at tidying up my home office and discovered these jewels in a box under stacks of other books ... The book is "The Rocks Begin To Speak" ... These are the last 5 new, uncirculated copies of this now out of print book ... This book is considered by many folks to be the "bible" of interpreting Indian rock art ... Maybe this book would be handy to folks looking for stuff in the Superstitions???...Here's a quote from a review I found:

"The author makes the point that believing all native American rock images are art is selling these people short. I believe him. He makes claims that some is actually a non-alphabetic very sophisicated method of writing and not just "hunting symbols" or "primitive art". Some is, much is not. He backs up these statements with numerous examples and the science of cryptography. He does not claim to understand it all, I found a quote on a website where he estimates he is about 80% correct. The petroglyphs that give information are based on the sign language that all tribes understood to some degree so the messages are independent of any specific language. Pteroglyphs can be art, they can show the way to water or a trail or they can tell a story. The whole thing is fascinating to me.

Last month we stopped at the National Park Service's Petroglyph National Park in Albuquerque, NM. I was disappointed to see not a single publication that credited these works as anything other than art. It appears we are still too arrogant to admit sophistication exists in places other than our own cultures.

What a shame that unless someone picks up this work (the author recently passed away) some unique perspectives of history will be lost."

Anyhow, these are the the only ones that are new that are available ... There are some used ones around but these are the end of the line as far as new goes ... $50 each, shipped in the lower 48 ... Email me at ron@az-gold.com or PM me if you are interested Cheers, Unc

post-30-0-50890700-1424204712_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-77805600-1424204738_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-68898400-1424204763_thumb.jpg

Hi Cuz,

Things are getting stranger and stranger...

Just so happens, I have a copy of "The Rocks Begin to Speak" as well!

I bought it years ago, on the recommendation of a friend who knew the author,

LaVan Martineau, I am pretty sure that is his name.

An expert on the subject, as well as desert survival...

I need to clean up some hundreds of pounds of interesting books as well...

Not a project I am happy to contemplate, as I have enjoyed them for so long.

Cuz Gary...