Google Earth vs. Google Earth Pro?

Rob, I don't think there is any real advantages for imagery, just more tools. I've used the standard version to overlay old maps over Google Earth, etc. and even created some custom map pins. There is also a free USGS Topo overlay that I use quite a lot anywhere I go. I think this is the link to it: http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps.htm

post-29812-0-43748400-1417476777_thumb.j

post-29812-0-28681400-1417476789_thumb.j

post-29812-0-39923100-1417476802_thumb.j

Rob,

I have used both and find the Free Version the best option for the $ :) .

If you have an iPad, I use an inexpensive elevation APP called Elevation Chart - It uses a slightly better resolution / different angle . If I find a likely spot, I check it out in this App. I can also figure my route ,elevation change and if it is a death march before I go!

Thanks,

Rick

Ive used cyber geology for years and there are advantages to it.

saves a lot of time and leg work planning your next mission.

I tryed the google pro version to see if it was worth the money verses free google earth.

The resolution can be worth the extra price because you can see the true geology by higher definition.

The more you know about geology the more you can use this to your advantage.

also the pro verson is updated much more often than the free verson so your not looking at older data.

google concentrates on highly populated areas,its in there best Interest, so those areas are updated more often. ;)

AzNuggetBob

Rob, there is a free Bing aerial maps overlay you can put on Google earth, it will give you better resolution to areas that Google Earth has poor resolution. It's a great free tool to use with Google earth, as it also has different aerial colors than google earth.

Dave

Death march....hahahahahaha--- i like it--brings back memories!!

Both Google Earth and the Pro versions use the same images. There is no difference in the imagery but Google Earth Pro allows better printing quality and more tools.

From Google:

Question: Does Pro include better (enhanced, updated, real-time, or higher resolution) imagery?

Answer: Google Earth Pro uses the same imagery database as the free and Pro trial versions of Google Earth. However, with Google Earth Pro, you can print these locations at a higher output resolution.

The extra print quality could be a big help for you if you print out paper maps on a good printer. Otherwise it's pretty much the same program with some better drawing and measuring tools.

If you want better aerial images there are several free alternatives, as Dave pointed out. The biggest thing you can do to improve Google Earth accuracy and image quality is to turn OFF the "terrain" rendering feature in the settings. The 3D thing is a cool effect but it's horrible for location accuracy and image quality.

Please remember that Google Earth and Google Earth Pro are not intended for accurate mapping.

From Google:

Google makes no claims as to the accuracy of the coordinates in Google Earth. These are provided for entertainment only and should not be used for any navigational or other purpose requiring any accuracy whatsoever.

Our imagery varies from sub-meter resolution in major cities to 15 meter (45 foot) resolution for most of the earth's surface, with a global base resolution of 1KM (3,280 feet). Since our database is constantly being updated, we cannot state a specific resolution for any geographic region.

Google acquires imagery from many different sources with many different file formats, projections and spectral characteristics. All imagery sources are fused into a single global database with a proprietary format that has been developed for the specific purpose of streaming to our client software.

Please remember that Google Earth and Google Earth Pro are not intended for accurate mapping.

No problems mapping trails here in the Bradshaws. I've never been off more than a few feet here or there. The funny part is taking my Google maps and throwing them onto my GPS. I run 4 different mapping programs and ironically the oldest program (early 90's) is the most accurate and shows the most trails which for the most part are clearly visible in GE. Gotta love the .gov and their influence on the map makers. Seems like with every map update more and more trails go missing. Hmmm... sounds like somebody don't want want us common plebes doing any exploring in our precious deserts and forests. :huh:

Just some FYI. I use an app on my cell called Trimble Outdoors where I can use regular USGS Topos and shows my location, tracks, etc. I can download both offline topos and aerials for use in bad cell service areas. It also show overlays showing if your on state/federal or private land. I also port my Google Earth waypoints into the app as .gpx files. Works really slick for me at least. Its $29.95 per year as a subscription service. However, I'm always interested in other mapping programs.

Cheers!!

Mike

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/

Mcgator, there is an android app called all in one offline maps, you can download aerials and topos for free, and even use them in realtime, when there is no cell. It is not to user friendly, so you have to refer to the instructions till you get the hang of it.

No problems mapping trails here in the Bradshaws. I've never been off more than a few feet here or there. The funny part is taking my Google maps and throwing them onto my GPS. I run 4 different mapping programs and ironically the oldest program (early 90's) is the most accurate and shows the most trails which for the most part are clearly visible in GE. Gotta love the .gov and their influence on the map makers. Seems like with every map update more and more trails go missing. Hmmm... sounds like somebody don't want want us common plebes doing any exploring in our precious deserts and forests. :huh:

azbb you'll probably notice some mine sites even hand stacking when you zoom in has been erased or altered through pixelation off Google earth.

now I can understand why they are erasing secret or high security sites but why mining? :ph34r:

AzNuggetBob

azbb you'll probably notice some mine sites even hand stacking when you zoom in has been erased or altered through pixelation off Google earth.

now I can understand why they are erasing secret or high security sites but why mining? :ph34r:

I haven't notice any blurring of any mines by GE unless the owners have requested it. When I'm out exploring, pretty much everything I see on GE is there in person. Point I was making is that many of the trails (and many that you can't see) on GE are not represented on current GPS mapping programs, whereas 20 years ago they were. There's not very many people who use GE like I do. When mapping a new area for exploration, I may do 20 flybys from various altitudes and angles, so I can get a feel for the land and terrain. I'll then overlay one of my old topos with the old pack trails and line them up in GE so I can get a feel for the elevation. Current day topos (both paper and GPS) don't even show half the trails as the original maps of 15 or 20 years ago did. Like I said... somebody doesn't want somebody doing any major exploration of our back country. Many times my old topo maps will show trails that aren't even visible on GE. Those are the fun ones. You have to really know how to read the terrain just like the old pioneers and prospectors did back in the day.

azbb good point about owners requesting it. And I agree the pack (old mule)or game trails on two wheels
have been a prospecting highway for me. their almost like riding a train, you see things most people dont see. ;)
AzNuggetBob

Azbb, I know what you mean about older maps had stuff that current maps don't have. I try to buy up old forest service maps 30 years old or older, they have a lot of points historical sites, caves, ect. that are not on any current topo maps.

Dave

The old topos haven't been taken away.

You can get just about any historical topo you want for free right from the government. Several per area are available often for several years and versions. These are the original topo maps. Many of them have the old handwritten notes on them.

178,000 Historical Topos. It's one of the biggest mapping projects the U.S. has ever attempted.

• 2 weeks later...