Mexican Gray Wolf in AZ?

Yo, All... It's not unusual for us to see coyotes around our property on nearly a daily basis ... But for the last couple weeks we've been having a new one show up that is more aggressive and less fearful than the others have been for the past 15 years ... It has a dark gray, nearly black back and is a lot stockier that the normally lean guys we are familiar with ... Last night I stumbled on a program on TV that was talking about the Mexican Gray Wolf ... The wolves they showed looked an awful lot alike our new visitor ... In doing a little internet research I found that they have been reintroduced in to the N. Mex and AZ area ... On the maps it show the Wickenburg and Bradshaw Mtns. area as the top of their known range ... I can't be 100% certain but it sure does look exactly like the guy in the photo below ... Anybody else around here ever seen one???? Cheers, Unc

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-9-0-98174800-1416014411_thumb.jpg
  • post-9-0-49122600-1416014460_thumb.jpg

Hey Ron

Ive heard about them but have not run across one out hunting. they are rare. I do know wolves are generally speaking pack animals like coyote's. so I wouldnt be too concerned other than it may snatch a small pet like a coyote would. see if you can get a photo of him. AzNuggetBob

Ron I will say this I had a friend that had a Timber wolf for a pet. I saw it pick up a pit bull by the head. now if I ran into one or more of those out in the hills I would be a little concerned. that's why I prefer to nugget hunt with friends, Smith and Wesson. :)

AzNuggetBob

Ron, Mexican Grey Wolves typically run 60-80 lbs. according to what

I can find, and that's about double what your average coyote might

weigh.

With the color and size differences it should be pretty easy to distinguish

between the two.

Apparently these are the most endangered of all North American wolves,

so hopefuly it will head for greener pastures. Give your local Game Warden

a call and let him know you've seen it, and maybe they can get it relocated

back into the deep mtns. again before someone shoots it.