Garrett ATX and Nevada Gold

I just got back from prospecting in northern Nevada, with this fabulous 0.85 oz nugget found with the Garrett ATX. Great country and great gold, it just does not get any better. I was hoping to meet up with Lunk but had to get back early to house sit for my daughter. Next time!

Details at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/394-gold-prospecting-with-the-garrett-atx/

post-316-0-29964400-1415566464_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Steve,

I think the unit is a gold finder for sure, but I'm so damn in tune with the Minelab PI's and their sound, the Garrett is tough for me to get used to. The extra couple of pounds also puts a strain on my right wrist, which I broke about 3 years ago.

Overall for me, the sales really hit rock bottom for the ATX. I'm real surprised for the what the unit can do and the price, they are not selling more.

Sounds like one of my many old injuries Rob. I got a crook wrist too, old sporting injury. I use one of those neoprene sport wrist wraps. Thumb goes through a loop and you wrap it how you like around your wrist then lock it down with the Velcro. Using that it doesn't bother me. Without it im done in two hours.

Hi Chris,

Well, that's three of us. I really like my ATX, but I am afraid I will always see it as a missed opportunity for Garrett. Imagine what it could have been if engineered from the ground up as a dry land prospecting detector. I have done my best to convince Garrett they should do just that but I won't hold my breath. Things move slowly in metal detecting land. It is really a shame though as the machine does perform.

Hi Joe,

You never know. If you see somebody wandering around way up in the hills by themselves, it very well could be me. I did not have much luck out at Sawtooth when I saw you out there but I like the general area and plan on hunting out there again in the future. But off the beaten path for sure.

Steve

A field test was done on the ATX in the GPAA mag. Nov/Dec issue. He done some depth test but after it was all over it came down to the weight of the ATX.

I looked over on another page and not saying a word but dripping wet was a SDC 2300. I got more out of that picture than what was said on the field test of the ATX.

Digger Bob had a show and tell about the big nugget found. Bob had a big smile on his face but I didn't think anyone had that many teeth in their head. Bob you lucky dog to have that huge nugget in your hand to see it in person. The only thing I can say is I know Bob.

Chuck Anders

Theres more out there finding gold with the ATX I think...but my sales also, since the SDC 2300 came out have been a bit lack luster now. Its a shame since the ATX performs very well, maybe it is because the 2300 can get just a bit smaller gold in hotter ground than the ATX can. As far as the weight goes, the ATX with its 8" mono coil is lighter to swing than the SDC 2300 - considerably different. The stock coil can be fatiguing sometimes...that is the one most people complain about.

Anyway, here is a video of myself and my mining partner snagging two small nuggets with the ATX and it's 8" mono coil. I think I would find more if I were closer to gold deposits with either the 2300 or the ATX.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Great conversation about both detectors. I sell and own both, found gold with both of them also. That being said, no doubt the SDC 2300 is lighter, but I agree with Bearkat the ergonomic of the SDC is different and it feels heavier at times due to the way you have to hold it. The ATX with the stock coil is way too heavy for me without a bungee due to my wrist injury many years ago.

I'm in much more tune with the Minelab PI's including the SDC 2300, so the ATX is not my personal cup of coffee. My ear is in tune from the last 15 years swinging Minelab PI's, so I don't want to change that unless there is a huge difference in technology or performance over what I'm using now (which there is not at this time).

Overall, both detectors will find gold, just depends on how picky one might when it comes to branding, budget, weight and and other detector features.

I like the ATX enough to buy another one. I am getting the Deepseeker package so I can have the larger coil in addition to the stock and 8" mono, plus that cool hard case. My other ATX will be sacrificed as a modification project. I am going to strip out the guts and make my own lightweight dry land version. Should be fun.

Hey that sounds like fun Steve----- Perhaps a video chronicle of that would be great to watch!

paul