Emergency GPX 5000 repairs

On the first day of a three day vacation to nugget hunt I tripped and snapped off the plastic quick track handle on the Minelab.What a pain trying to detect holding the shaft and pressing the quick trap button. There wasn't a nearby dealer to borrow a handle so I fashioned a replacement using the remains of a broken shovel handle. Using 5/8", 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" drill bits and a sawzall I was back in business in less than 30 minutes. To be honest, I like my handle better than the original. Feel free to copy as I have no plans to patent.

post-29574-0-91199900-1412639312_thumb.j

• Admin

Hey Local,

One hell of a field repair. I have broken that handle many times, but I have always had the SD/GP straight handle as a backup at my vehicle. I have broken way too many parts, mostly lower shafts and handles from slips and falls. Tore a bunch of power cords up also in the past, one reason I love the Goldscreamer Power pack so much now.

Thanks for sharing!

Ahhhh...good ol yankee enginuity :)
WTG..thats using the ol noggin.

Tom H.

actually it was coincident that the cavalry saber was in the picture. a friend had dropped it off, a gift, as he was down sizing his collection, just as I was finishing the detector repairs. like me, he has been digging and collecting civil war relics many years prior to digging nuggets. living in Virginia provided numerous opportunity to dig relics. I started detecting battlefield and campsites with my first detector in 1959, as a nine year old, and have continued to this time. I only realized that I could dig nuggets three years ago. this saber was found stuck point down in 1929 according to the tag on the Brandy Station battlefield, more than likely a grave marker.