Minelab GPX 4500 Battery Tes

Hi everyone.

I need a little assistance..

I am testing my GPX batteries. the original shows 8.26v the one I just bought a couple of months ago showed 7.8v then changed to 0.03v. They were both charged within 2 months. I am testing with a multimeter using the #1 and #4 pins. Is this the right way to test them? and is the original one still good?

When conducting airtest last month my 4500 stopped detecting (again) so I sent it to ML and they had to replace the entire board this time. Brian at ML West said that a "mostic" had burned out allong with nearly all of the "traces". Last October the same thing happened with the "mostic" burning out and Darin at ML in Il. said my coil caused it so I havnt used that coil. Now that it has happened a second time I'm trying to test everything before powering up the 4500. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Bill

Bill

Long time back I had the GP Extreme I'd got from a friend. When he opened the case to show me the detector was ok. My trouble started when he went to close the case and the power cord got in the way. I didn't know it but it got damage and the first time I turned the detector on it was down hill from there. I tested the power cord and you could see a short come and go as you moved it around. The sad part I couldn't see the true damage to my detector on the inside. I sent to ML before I put up for sale and when it came back it was a whole new detector.

Hope someone here can help you.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hey Bill,

Never heard of the battery burning up the metal detector (hopefully I understood you right). Maybe you meant it burned up the battery. That being said, never heard of that issue. You don't want to let the GPX batteries sit long without a full charge and every couple of weeks preferably to recharge them fully for storage. If you don't, they will develop a bad cell and quickly become bad with a very short detecting time on them (if any).

i lost a 4500 battery due to the board inside the battery case going south. Since it was out of warranty I had a friend in the electronics industry go through the board. Not having the schematics they could repair it but the board was definitely the problem ... the LI batteries themselves would take a full charge but the power could not be sent to the GPX4500 control box. You may have the same problem since it is the same machine. Good luck.

Mike F

Rob;

Do we have to fully discharge the batteries before recharging them? After I have used mine for a while or after it has sat for a few months I will turn it on and let it run all night before recharging. Just wondering if it is ok to recharge after a short day work or run it all the way out?

Thanks for the info folks. I'm not sure what the problem was this time. ML West replaced the circuit board. Hopefully there won't be any more issues. I tested the " used " battery I purchased from an individual and the voltage showed 8.3v then immediately drops to 0.03v. That I'm Afraid might be a short and might send a spike to the detector or something. Either way I will not be using that battery until I send it to Ml and they say it is good. Thanks for all the replies. And I ordered a New power cord from Rob (just in case)

Bill

Rabbit ... You can recharge the Lithium-Ion batteries for the GPX series anytime ... they do not have a memory when you do that.

Also when you are going to store for more than about a month it is best to fully charge the battery before storing and renew the charge every month or so ... however I don't believe you should leave the charger on all the time or even much time beyond the completion of a full charge. Not sure if that last information is factual but is what I have heard talking to a few experienced owners over the past couple years.

• Admin

Hey Rabbitt,

Dito what Mike said above. There is no memory with the Minelab GPX batteries. You can use them for a hour and recharge, or use them to they are about dead. I normally leave my li-ion batteries on the charger all night and then take off in the morning before I got hunting. This seems to work best for me.