Nugget Hunters 50 Above

McGator

I talk with Jim by email just the other day. I've never meet Jim in person but we have talk in the past by email. I told him one time it's too bad we didn't meet years ago. He's just one great guy anyone could know!

Chuck Anders

PS The trouble with life is if you live long enough your going to get old!

Started in the 70's coin hunting with 19.99 Radio Shack Micronata BPO rig...and i found enough to have some fun.

Later in the 80's, i got a Bounty Hunter ----then got out of it till 2010 when I did a small weekend pay to dog deal ion Congress.

It has been a ride since then!!!! hahahahaa------- I love the rush, i like the people, and the "commotion" that goes with huntng and sharing stories.

And it is a good sport that you can choose to go it alone just to mellow out-----or you can go with others for a nice outing with friends.... cant beat it in my book.

paul

50 right on the button here. Brand new to the game. My father had a detector when I was in my early teens and we used to go out and fun digging artifacts around old homesites. Now I'm were he was back then. Found my first gold ring on a beach several weeks ago....now I have gold fever. Looking forward to my first nugget hopfully soon. Enjoying all I can learn from you guys.

strick

Hey strick

I see you post for the first time here. Glad to have you and come back soon. Oh gold fever is worse than the fever you had on your first date as a teen.

You said something about hitting the 50 mark and the thing is if you live long enough you will get older.Ha

The Best

Chuck Anders

Hey strick

I see you post for the first time here. Glad to have you and come back soon. Oh gold fever is worse than the fever you had on your first date as a teen.

You said something about hitting the 50 mark and the thing is if you live long enough you will get older.Ha

The Best

Chuck Anders

Hopfully I'll live long enough to find a few gold nuggets. Thanks for the welcome Ridge Runner from one Chuck to another...

Chuck Strickland

I am now 61 and started detecting relics in Texas about 1968 with a DIY BFO kit from Relco I built, moved to Calif in 70, bought my first mfg coin detector in about 72, coin detected off and on thru 80's, with many different detectors low to high end, had the idea of nugget hunting back then but every time I tried in the sierras with the coin detectors I was disillusioned rapidly due to GB, Noise, got into dredging late 80's, and early 90's, did ok. didn't get back into detecting till 2003 when I bought my first MXT, started coin hunting again, til maybe 4 yrs ago when I discovered I had missed the mfg of so many good nugget detectors that actually worked well in mineralized ground, been tuning up for past 3 yrs, with buying equipment, gpx4000, GB2, coils etc, getting orientated to the nugget areas in Nevada, etc, started out this spring in june finding a few small nuggets in Nevada, more in August, now up to about 12 small nuggets and hooked for life. Its a great hobby.

64 here. Got the fever back in early 70's, then it was dredging (did it for 6 years for a living on the Feather). Always loved history and liked doing what they did 100 years ago here. Have metal detected for last 20 years. Been very lucky finding the gold and friends.

Shep

Hi all,

Well, let's put it this way, I will never see 72 again, sneaking up on 73 in February. I haven't been beeping for over 4 years, cause of spouse's health. But, I keep my 5000's battery charged up, and I bought a Minelab SDC 2300 a while back that is still waiting for it's first use. Maybe this weekend. I try to be optimistic about the future, and can still imagine hearing the sound of a gold nugget in my headphones. I just bought a used Four Wheel brand slide in camper. Really neat way to camp, fully self contained, extremely LIGHT, and in a 4x4 pickup, you can just about go anywhere. Look up that brand, and you will see just how nice they are, and how much room one can have in a 6 -1/2 foot truck camper.

I hope you did have a great birthday Robbie...I still remember meeting you and John B. out at Rye Patch. I still have that big old meteorite, the Majuba 3, as it is officially named.

I bought my first metal detector in 1966, I think, a Garrett BFO...pretty basic. Bought my first gold machine in the early 1990's, went through a Fisher Gold Bug, a Gold Bug II, which I still own, another Gold Bug II, a Minelab XT16000, XT17000 and XT18000, a SD2100, GP3000, GPX4000, and now my GPX5000, and of course my Minelab SDC 2300. Plus a few VLF machines, Troy Shadow, a Fisher F75 Special Edition, a so called Spanish Dip Needle (don't ask please). All this and a couple of big boxes of search coils, sound enhancers, headphones, and diggers of all kinds, as well as every pick known to man. Almost.

My lot in life it seems, is to help support my friend Doc L., whom I met at Reno Gold Show, about the time he was glad handing Digger Bob, which must have been a pretty good luck charm for Digger, as Digger found a huge 10 something ounce gold nugget in either the same day, or within a day or so.

Where I am going this weekend, is a place not very far from a very rich mine, where a 6+ pound, yes, 6 plus pound nugget was found a few years back. I had the chance to hold that big chunk, it had the wavy characteristics of underwater coral, its gold undulating in individual layers of solid gold. Hard to describe...

Sorry for the long post.

Gary/ aka Largo...

OMG, I forgot to list some of my favorite gold detectors, those being the Goldmasters. GM II, GM3 (wonderful machine) a GMT, and a couple I had for just a very short while.

Gary

Chuck, I see that you live in San Antonio. Were you aware that the GPAA is having their last Gold Show of the year in Oklahoma City October 11 and 12? Although a long drive for you, it should be a good Show. If you make it, drop by my booth and identify yourself. BTW I forgot to mention my age. I will hit 62 tomorrow. HH Jim