Gold Bug 11 - problems

I've been getting "falses" on my gold bug 11. Switched out the coils and there were different problems (actually no signal coming thru the coil). Putting the old coil (6 inch) back on, and stretching the cable put everything back into working order once again. However, I'm thinking that there must be a short in the control box around the five pin connector.

Where would I send it to get it checked? Can local electronic guys open up the case and work on the insides with some success or would I be tempting fate.

The machine is 15 years old if its a day and never given me a moment of headache. They were sure made to take abuse!

Cheers

If you have, or can get, some electronic spray contact cleaner, spray the pins and the holes of both coil cable and detector box. Spray it good a couple of times and see if the problem goes away. I do this occasionally on my GB 2 and my ML 4000. Keeps the problem at bay. Goldbug Ron