Rob, Doc - SDC 2300 accessories?

The new Minelab SDC 2300 is a fine new product, but a lot of the old accessories for the GPX series just wont work and new ones are needed. Doc does a great job of coming up with these products and Rob does a great job of distributing them out to prospectors around the country. I know the detector is newly on the market, but I wanted make some product suggestions and see if you guys are working on any of these things. To be honest, I'd be happy to make an order and buy these from you today if they were available.

The box old covers for the GPX wont fit the SDC but it would be nice to have a removable cover similar to the GPX ones that fit the SDC.

The headphone jack for the SDC is a special design - there is a real demand for an adapter that will allow us to use our favorite headphones above water. Additionally, the cable of the UR 30 headphones that come with the detector are a little short, and an adapter would allow a little longer headphone cables, or perhaps some sort of amplifier. I think guys with good hearing will have no problem with the volume of the detector, but it has no adjustable volume, and guys with any hearing loss may find it a bit too quiet and need an amplifier.

The SDC is narrow and attachable feet would be handy to keep it from falling over. It would be cool and convenient if these stabilizer feet were built in as a part of the cover.

The SDC was designed for the military use, and the arm cuff folds up nearly every time you take your arm out. A simple clip would hold it open during use.

Anyway, the SDC 2300 is a great detector, but a few handy accessories would make it even better. You guys do these things so well, I just thought I'd ask when I might be able to make an order for these things.

The photo shows a small patch that I recently pulled about a quarter ounce of little nuggets off with the SDC.

• Admin

Hey Chris,

Some very great suggestions and I agree with you. A cover would be nice to protect the bottom and feet would help with it not rolling around on the ground when you're pinpointing. The arm rest sides always fold down and the armrest strap always catches my arm and I have to pull or jerk it out. Someone I was hoping for was a few more inches of length. I'm 6 to 6 foot 1 and sometimes it feels like I'm bending over detecting. A few more inches would really help the taller 6 foot + user out a bit in my opinion.

The audio of the Koss headphones always seems light. I prefer my Black Widows and would love to use them on the SDC 2300.

Hopefully Minelab will be able to read some of these suggestions for the next model.

Hi Chris..... I've been spending most of my time lately on the Australian forums but saw your post here looking for a control box cover and thought you'd enjoy seeing this.... looks pretty sharp.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t19464-introducing-the-control-box-cover-for-the-sdc-2300

Jen

Still Swingin....

Hi Chris and all,

I was curious about how much power the external speaker draws, versus the use of headphones, most specifically, in the case of the SDC 2300. I am told that normally, headphones do draw less power than external speakers.

There has been some talk with regard to the headphones, length of cord, and the new connector that is used and the SDC 2300, but I'll leave that to those who want to dig a little in some other forums...

Where I go gold detecting in Nevada, the wind blows constantly, loose fitting headphones can contribute to failure to hear faint targets while the wind blows. That being said, I visited Costco in the past few days, walked by a display of Walker Digital 360 Muffs (headphones), that are supposed to deal with wind noise, all the while amplifying surrounding sounds by up to 9 times. $40 bucks or so, so I thought I might give them a try, as there is no cord to hang up on anything, and perhaps if they seal out sounds of wind well enough, it could be money well spent.

I bought a set, installed supplied AAA battery in each earpiece, tried them on in the house, turned on my SDC 2300, adjusted the threshold to the very minimum, and found that the headphones DO seal well, in fact as good as my high dollar headphones. Add to that the fairly quiet threshold could be magnified to a much higher level than I could ever need. And, I am not connected in any way to the machine. Add to that, they do have a Noise Reduction rating of 24 db, so loud unexpected sounds are dealt with. Each earpiece has an independent volume control, which is a real PLUS, when shopping for headphones.

I will try to get out today, and see how they work, I have thrown a whole lot more than $40 on a lot of things and got less... So far, I am a happy camper. We'll see

Have a great day!

Gary/Largo

Nenad is making them in Australia. $95.00 AU funds plus shipping, etc.

See Australia Gold & Fossicking forum The difficult part is acquiring the locking

connector that would attach the pig tail to the SDC 2300.

Sorry to butt in...

Gary

No worries about butting in Gary. I would guess the electronically minded could cut the adaptor off the stock headphones and refit to another. Just a thought.

Take note of JPs comment re the wire silk when soldering.... (In link I posted above)

Jen

Still Swingin...