Amazing Sensitivity of the Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector

• Admin

Amazing Sensitivity of the Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector!!

Hello All, this weekend a partner and I went back to some spots that we hammered in the past. Someone a few years ago placered this gulch. They hand-stacked, drywashed and metal detected this gulch to death, but the SDC 2300 was still able to snag 4 small nuggets in a few short hours. The first nugget was under a grain in size, weighing 0.9 grains (480 grains to a troy ounce). The second nugget was 2 grains and the other two were 3.5 grains each.

Yes, I understand it takes a lot of small nuggets to pay for a $3800 metal detector, but when you're prospecting you don't have to worry about missing the very small ones and still maintain the mineral immunity to mineralized ground, ironstones and volcanics.

The little ones do add up and I have found places in the past where I have picked up 400-500 small nuggets over a period of time working it.

Excited to get back out and give it a try on some other pounded patches.

post-2-0-54965200-1408926936_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-86866900-1408926959_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-14241900-1408926982_thumb.jpg

The SDC does hit gold that I would normally only expect with a hot VLF, without the downsides of dealing with hot rocks and ground noise. My smallest nugget with the SDC weighed on my freshly calibrated digital powder scale comes in at only 0.7 grains (480 grains per Troy ounce). That is only 0.045 grams.

Hunt for the small stuff, and the big stuff will just happen.

post-316-0-01831600-1408928041_thumb.jpg

WTG Rob and Co....

Glad you were able to get out and get some gold.

I must say though....if anyone is buying a detector to look for gold as a hobby...

You put money into hobbies. Not many of them pay back like this one does :)
Golf, Bass fishing (bass boat? 8 grand?), RC airplanes(muck one in and your out a lot!)...they just suck your wallet...but you have fun.

Detecting for gold pays back in many ways :)
Even if you dont pay off the detector, you got out and had a blast, got good excercise and saw some things no one else has. Thats how I look at it.

Tom H.