ol stuff

Out in garage making stuff and found this ol treasure and as usual has a story behind it. Back in the early 80s when dredging on the Feather River, I had one of the best dredging partner there to be. A little Frenchman, Glenn LeFevre (he also bartended at Moons in Quincy in those days). He was a talker (whereas Im not really), he was a bit tight (Im being very nice here).

There was several of us who had coffee at Perkos every morning and helped each other when needed.. In the winter, got cabin fever and wed make road trips to the lower motherlode. I missed one trip, where Glenn and a couple others got all excited about this new detector that would pick up gold but wouldnt sound on black sand. Seems Mr Kovac had this display, I think in Placerville(?), with a rotating round table with gold and samples of black sand on it. Detector sounded off loud on the gold, but barely a peek over the black sand. Several detectors were ordered that day. When they got back, their new found way of finding gold got me pumped up. While they were awaiting their new purchases, I found out a local, Gordon (who owned the Missouri Bar on the Feather) had one of these detectors and was willing to part with it after my intense battering. Think I paid about half ($150) of what new was.

Well after we all got out practicing with our new found devices, realized real quick, wed been hoodwinked! That black sand was black but thats all it was! Wasnt magnetite or even metallic! We had fun with them tho. I just put batteries in it and still works!

Doesnt pick up new gold, just the old dirty real gold, where should we start the bidding? Wish I would of found this a long time ago, let Patrick use it and I know hed have muchoo gold in his pocket by now! ;-)

Shep

post-55-0-67981100-1408914870_thumb.jpg

post-55-0-07965500-1408914889_thumb.jpg

post-55-0-65668700-1408914906_thumb.jpg