50-50 Prospecting/Metal Detecting by Rob Allison

• Admin

Hello All,

Over the years I have dubbed my style of prospecting/metal detecting – 50/50. What I mean by this is I spent 50% of my time working new areas and 50% of my time working old, known nugget patches. The benefit I have found from this is you’re always exploring new ground for potentially new, unworked patches. You also benefit by working old patches and hopefully able to score a nugget or two to bring home to eliminate that skunk!

Normally, on a single day hunt, I might spent 2-3 hours working some old patches where I know I’m fresh and focused to hear the faintest signal. Hopefully I’m able to score a nugget in that time. The second portion of the day I will looking for areas outside the known gold areas and prospect them. These spots can range from 1-25 miles from the known, documented goldfields.

Some of these overlooked, unexplored regions on the fringes of the known areas can be “Sleepers.” It don’t take much for Mother Nature & Geology to have a few pounds of gold nuggets lying on a hillside, on the bottom of a wash or even in some quartz float scattered along the desert pavement.

50/50 Prospecting/Metal Detecting can be rewarding over a period of time. Here are some of my finds from using the 50/50 method I developed years ago.

The nuggets on the upper left, upper right and lower right are from prospecting new regions. The nuggets on the lower left are from working old patches. You can see the benefit of exploring new spots, while also hunting old nugget patches.

post-2-0-24831700-1405649139_thumb.jpg

Wishing you much success!!

Rob Allison

Ahorton...just keep at it and you will get over it. Time and patience.

I agree Rob.

Its a real moral booster after youve gotten a skunk for a couple of trips and be able to go back to a place you

know you got gold out of in the past. You seem to slow down and just take it easy in the old ares, and if your lucky pop one or

two you missed....I know I have missed them :)
Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I think a lot of it is going back to the basics and not trying to get too deep into it. Going back to old patches can get old at times, especially at some point the nuggets will get tougher to find. That being said, hitting some gold spots hoping to break the skunk then prospecting for a few hours seems to work well for me. I'm always working new ground, but hitting some old places along the way.

Keep in mind, there are times where I spent all day prospecting, it just depends on the mood I'm in. :o