More fun with the SDC 2300

I got out and did a little more prospecting with the SDC, and got 3 more nuggets, total weight 2.5 grams. The more I use this detector the happier I am with it. I took my brother in law out with me and with the external speaker gave him a few lessons in nugget detecting. there were a bunch of 22 brass shells at this one place, and I told him we needed to get these out of the way because they would block the detector from seeing smaller targets. Sure enough, we got them out of the way, and right in the middle of where they were was a fainter target. I told him that while larger nuggets would sound like those shells near the surface, most gold would sound like this fainter target. We dug it and it was the smallest of the three nuggets.

post-9-0-78673800-1404703746_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Chris,

Congrats on the new nugget finds with the Minelab SDC 2300. I pretty much sold my first batch of them, have one left right now, but I'm sure it will be gone within the next day or so. I have another order on the way. I have asked all the customers to post their thoughts, stories and finds when they can. I'm hoping to get more reports on the forum from end users that are not field testers, dealers and such. I have a few customers on edge right now until they see more solid, non-bias end user reports, which I completely understand.

Good stuff. Hearing some good things on it from guys I know here. Will try one myself when the weather clears. All we've had where I am is rain rain rain.

And to be honest im done with detecting in mud these days. One swing of the pick, two kilos of mud and red clay stuck to it. Take a step, a kilo on the sole of your boot.

Hey Chris,

Congrats on the new nugget finds with the Minelab SDC 2300. I pretty much sold my first batch of them, have one left right now, but I'm sure it will be gone within the next day or so. I have another order on the way. I have asked all the customers to post their thoughts, stories and finds when they can. I'm hoping to get more reports on the forum from end users that are not field testers, dealers and such. I have a few customers on edge right now until they see more solid, non-bias end user reports, which I completely understand.

Hey Rob Do you know is the sdc 2300 like a 5000 or something just put in another body?

Hello all,

I too have been interesting in hearing from people out in the field that have been using the new Minelab SDC 2300 metal detector in the field.

Here is a link: www.DetectorProspector.com when you get to the site, click on Go to DP forum.

There you will find up to date info regarding finds that have been made by non dealer folks, just having fun with their Minelabs in Alaska, how they have had to make do, as is often the case when you are camped in remote areas.

This website is a function of Steve Herschbach, a well known Alaskan prospector, now transplanted to the lower 48. He does commentary there, as does Chris Ralph, a popular geologist who wrote "Fists of Gold" an in depth book for anyone interested in gold detecting/prospecting. who has had some respectable finds with his SDC 2300 in the past few weeks

I recently bought one of these detectors, and am anxious to try it out soon!

Gary

• Admin

Hello Azaware,

The units are different. The GPX 5000 is the "Flagship" Pulse Induction detector with the best depth, mineral immunity and fine tune adjustments. The new SDC 2300 is a high end, mid-line Pulse Induction metal detector. This new SDC 2300 is waterproof to 10 foot, can break down to a very small package, is only equipped with a 8-inch Monoloop (so no discrimination abilities) and is one of the simplest detectors I have ever used (turn on and go!).

I can find nuggets just as small using the GPX 5000 if I'm using a small coil, decent gain and a timing that is better for smaller gold (Sensitive/Extra or Fine Gold). When it comes to larger nuggets at depth, the GPX 5000 will excel.

The detectors were not made to run against each other. One is a mid-line PI, while the other is a high end PI.

I'm finding that the SDC 2300 is working great for me, as I like to hunt the outside of the known gold areas, which requires hiking and more exploring. That being said, the SDC can be broken down very small and packed in a medium sized backpack and then assembled when you get to the spot. The small coil allows max sensitivity to small gold, still picking up all other sized gold at normal depths. I have found trash targets with the SDC at over 2 foot now, hoping one will be a larger nugget at some point. Since it runs on four "C" batteries, there is less chance of a equipment failure from a sealed battery, power cord or some type of connection point.

The SDC 2300 is $3750.00 and we just receive another shipment in, so we are stock up for anyone still looking for one.

The GPX 5000 is $5795.00 and we also always stock them along with all the bundle accessories/coils we include for free.

Hope this helps a bit,

Hello Azaware,

The units are different. The GPX 5000 is the "Flagship" Pulse Induction detector with the best depth, mineral immunity and fine tune adjustments. The new SDC 2300 is a high end, mid-line Pulse Induction metal detector. This new SDC 2300 is waterproof to 10 foot, can break down to a very small package, is only equipped with a 8-inch Monoloop (so no discrimination abilities) and is one of the simplest detectors I have ever used (turn on and go!).

I can find nuggets just as small using the GPX 5000 if I'm using a small coil, decent gain and a timing that is better for smaller gold (Sensitive/Extra or Fine Gold). When it comes to larger nuggets at depth, the GPX 5000 will excel.

The detectors were not made to run against each other. One is a mid-line PI, while the other is a high end PI.

I'm finding that the SDC 2300 is working great for me, as I like to hunt the outside of the known gold areas, which requires hiking and more exploring. That being said, the SDC can be broken down very small and packed in a medium sized backpack and then assembled when you get to the spot. The small coil allows max sensitivity to small gold, still picking up all other sized gold at normal depths. I have found trash targets with the SDC at over 2 foot now, hoping one will be a larger nugget at some point. Since it runs on four "C" batteries, there is less chance of a equipment failure from a sealed battery, power cord or some type of connection point.

The SDC 2300 is $3750.00 and we just receive another shipment in, so we are stock up for anyone still looking for one.

The GPX 5000 is $5795.00 and we also always stock them along with all the bundle accessories/coils we include for free.

Hope this helps a bit,

Thanks Rob I think they mess up keeping this as a one coil unit.

Kim

• Admin

Hey Kim,

I can't speak in behalf of Minelab Electronics, but I think they had good reasons. When it comes to waterproof metal detectors, many end-users don't take the care to clear and make sure the connections are right and sealed well. At some point, this can lead to warranty issues. I think (in my opinion) this could be one reason they hardwired the coil. The small coil is great for small gold, working underwater for sniping and in tight locations. The hardwired kind of guarantees the connections are tight and can't be messed with.

I've only been out about 4 times now with the SDC 2300. I haven't been skunked yet with the detector, but far from paying for it in gold. I think I have recovered around 1/2 - 3/4's of an ounce of nuggets so far, so I'm about 1/3rd of the way from paying for it prospecting new locations and crumb crunching old spots. I'm pretty positive the detector will pay for itself many times over this coming Winter season.

Hope all is well on your end Kim.

Hey Rob

I was thinking the price and you can't change the coil but since it could be the only under water nugget detector then it does have value. Well everythings good. I did lose my gold fever lol. I do want to pick up a detector sometime down the road. I could spend my days Dredging but my back won't let me do that. :( Take care.

Kim

The waterproof machines have always been the greatest warranty issue. If I remember correctly the Minelab Excalibur is the machine that is the number 1 front runner for repairs. Of course die hard beach hunters and those who actually wade up to their neck using these machines, really put them through their paces.

I know some retired guys who are water hunting 4 to 5 times a week.

Doc

"I know some retired guys who are water hunting 4 to 5 times a week."

Doc out here thats called chasing babes in bikinis in a swimmin pool. :)

Anyway I have to admit I've got my machines wet in monsoon storms, OK drowned,and panicked.
It would be nice not having to worry about that.Im lookin forward to some new tech from Minelab.
AzNuggetBob

I now have about 120 hours of detecting on my SDC, and have well over an ounce and a half of gold to show for it, much of which has come from previously worked areas. I am heading home from Alaska, and will be posting some more photos and commentary soon.