Sawtooth Mtn, NV detecting trip...

Hello all, a few of my friends are going to Sawtooth Mtn, Nv for some detecting.

The dates are 17,18,19,20 April. If the weather is a no go then we are looking at the following weekend, 24,25,26,27 April. Anyone wishing to meet up with a great group of people shoot me a PM for details. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Ray is that Sawtooth Mountain near Beatty------ or Sawtooth Knob by Red Ridge #1 ?

Cant make it just curious...

Good luck wherever you all go!

The Sawtooth Mtn that is North West of RyePatch, North of Placerites, South of the Jackson Range. Just South off of the Winnemucca to the Sea road, and West of Haystack Butte. I think I got it cornered guy's... LOL TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

There is no cell reception from the campsite unless you drive about six miles. Anyone coming in a big rig, towing a camper etc. you will be on a dirt highway/road the last forty or so miles any direction you choose to come in from.

Some people were having problems with Google Earth locating the campsite. I loaded up the coordinates on Bing Maps. Copy these coordinates and go to Bing Maps, paste them onto the search window and conduct the search. This should allow you to zoom in and out to get directions to the site. I hope this helps, if not give me a call. 530 739 2973
These are the coordinates - 40.856262,-118.611245

Hey Ray,

Here are the coordinates for a place i go to use my cell phone when i am in the area.... I call it the"Phone Booth"..[ because everyone stops in there to talk... :D

40.888268, -118.492932 --- cut and paste in to Google search

(-google maps is showing the spot , but it is off a little.. if you use the satellite view the turn out is easy to see.)

This is quite a ways east on Jungo from your campsite, but just for reference,

It may help if you are close in that neighborhood and dont have a clue how many more miles you are going to have to drive east before you get a signal.

I believe there is also another turn out a little further east that may have better reception.... both are before you get to the ranch/farm on the Jungo/Rye Patch Rd junction....

paul

Hey Guys... (Hey Ray... jim straight here). I have been going to the 'Knob' since about 1957, first

with an old style hand-crafted bellows drywasher.

The eluvial gold is spotty and likely by now all of the obvious areas are well cleaned up.... But

during the Great-depression years the Knob yielded pretty good gold by drywashing. Then

beginning with the development of gold-specific "VLF-type during the 1970s by metal detecting.

Gosh, since I once worked as a forman-controlman at the Eagle-Picher diatomaceous earth

plant during the late 1950's-early 1960's, I have been still going there for many years; but "father time"

has finally caught up with me and now my trips to the 'Knob' will just be one of my memories...

Much of the bedrock is about a foot below the surface and if'n your detector can "make the trip'

and you are in one of the goldbearing channels, you will find yourself in a pay-streak.

My Best Wishes... tailgate

Ray as Im sure you know watch out for the jack rabbit holes in the road. Im just going to mention it for others that are not familiar with the area. there is a reason they call the area west of there "rabbit hole". I lived there for awhile and bent a haul trailer axle heading out there one day. Most of the gold at saw tooth is small but I did here of someone finding a three ounce speci. good luck. AzNuggetBob

There are some good sized nugs out there still.... I got a 1/4 ozer near there,,,,,

and drywash gold is still there too Jim... just a lot of digging!

Talk of a 5 1/2 ozer in days past.....

It's still out there,,,

paul

My avatar is a picture of the 1/4 ozer....ML 4000

..oh yeah, the powder holes are definitely exciting for a first timer driving 50mph thru there,,esp north of the Rye Patch Res going around to Jungo -------i thought i lost my truck one day--POOF,the whole world vanished for a second..

Hey guys, the trip is on and I head out right after work Wed afternoon. Should be there a bit after dark, set up and get full nights sleep and hit it Thursday morning.

Jim, I need to talk to you a few minutes when I get back off this trip. I will give you a call.

Bob, yeah, I am familiar with those holes. Been detecting in that area for long, long time. I got one piece over an ounce and another that went over three ounces quite a few years ago. I have hit few pockets that put out some real spongy type gold also.

Paul, I use all those same sites but I forgot the last time out that way with the WSPA that I was getting Verizon service up on the hill while hunting. They have a new tower to the West at the end of the ridge right near the road. I think some of the guys even got service right at the campsite. Things are changing in that area. I can tell you there are places around Sawtooth that a person could make good wages dry washing. The dry washing I did there was some of the easiest I have ever done. Rake the top off and shovel white powder clay right off the bedrock. I know an old man in the vicinity that not too many people have met and he continues to take several pounds during dry weather. The funny part is he is in an area where no one has found any nuggets detecting. All his gold is coarse round pieces about a half grain each.

I will post when I get back, Thanks, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Shep............