Old container

Hey everyone,

Anyone ever find anything like this before? I was searching an old dump and almost found enough square nails to build a house. Then this pops out!!! I think it is made out of aluminum. I thought it might of been an old ink well for writing way back when. When I searched old ink well images, none of them really looked like this. Sure wish the old timers would of left the lid on it and while they were at it..... they could of filled it full of nuggets for me too!!! Going to head out tomorrow.... and look for some more nails :huh:

post-20799-0-59632400-1394843979_thumb.j

Thats a cool find!

Dont have a clue what it is but its cool :)
Tom H.

Hey Tom. . . Yeah, I think anything that you find that is really old is cool, unless it's square nails and such. I kinda think back of who used it? what they use it for? and how every day life for them must of been... We !!! (today's day and age) are really spoiled compared to the way it was... Yesterday I went for a hike and checked a bunch of exposed quartz veins and I found a little metal star about the size of a dime. Who know's what it was on back in the day... It was way away from everything that resembled human presence. -- Doug

There's lots of those stars out there, as well as donkey's and horseshoes ... They adorned the strings of tobacco pouches ... I've got a butt load of them, most came from the area near "the slab" at LSD a few years ago ... Fun to collect and guage how much time and energy they put into their workings! ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks Grubstake!!! I almost thought something like that as well. But then I thought about flamable fluid and fire on your head.... :wacko: I guess back then ... you had to do, what ya had to do, to get-r-done. Appreciate the info. Doug

We used to use them spelunking... they dont have baterries to fail,,, and they are BRIGHT....they are fun to light,,Boom!

The reflector had a flint on it like a zippo lighter. You turn on the gas (which is acetylene) while you hold the palm of your hand over the reflector to collect the gas then with a slide of your hand across the flint,,,BOOM and then you adjust the flame,,,,been 45 yrs since i used one..

He finally lights the lamp on this video at 6:00

http://youtu.be/0wrIqkoBcpM

Mr. Congress Man, Thanks for the video link, I would say that is exactly what this old container is part of. Like I said before, its is really cool to find out what old items that you find were used for. ALL you guys made it happen for me with the star and container. I really appreciate it. -Doug