Detector Pro Headphones

Wanted to post this because there are a lot of detectorists nowadays who are unaware of these products and their capabilities.

I was on a hunt that lasted 12 days recently and thru my neglect I lost a connection on the left earcup of my Blackwidows headphones.
Well this just can't happen as I am hearing impaired, so I had to pull out my backup pair of Nuggetbusters to use on the last day of the hunt. I went over an area I had detected and sure enough I nailed 2 more nuggets to add to the poke on the last day of the trip.
They were small and DEEP believe me, 1 was paper thin actually I would consider it a "Gold Bug 2 nugget" not something I would detect with my P.I.
When I say I'm hearing impaired I mean the wife just about holds herself back from slapping me :spank: because I have to have her repeat herself
so much and I won't get hearing aids. It gets to the point that she will ignore me because she gets tired of repeating herself for me to hear.

The clarity , depth of sound , and crispness of the Blackwidows and Nuggetbusters are tits on the ritz to me !!!!!
I'm not using a state of the art P.I. detector rather an older ML 3500 so I have to add whatever advantages to it that are available.
I have been using the Blackwidows for many years started off using them on my Whites GMT and Fisher Gold Bug2.

If you are having any issues with you hearing, and I know there are a lot of us "older half deaf" people out there detecting, I highly recommend and suggest paying the price and using Detector Pro Blackwidows or even the Nuggetbusters my 2nd choice Backup pair. You will DEFINATELY gain an edge that is well worth the cost and recover the cost in nugget finds in short time.
A BIG THANKS to Gary at Detector Pro for inventing this line of headphones and thanks Rob Allison for carrying them for sale on his store website.
Try em you'll like em. :)
Oh I forgot to mention, they have a lifetime warranty offered for repairs to keep you beepin also :wub:

Roo, best thing is being able to check them out for yourself , should you know someone that has a set.
Koss ur30's are a good "standard" earphone. They are my 2nd in line for backup after the Nuggetbusters.
However, if you are looking for an edge I truly believe thru in the field experience and comparision Blackwidows will produce superior results in conveying
the electronic audio. Especially the subtleties of sounds.
If wind is a fairly frequent happening in your hunting local, or outside noise of any type that's where you will definitely have a new experience !!!!
I'm a bare bones guy but I believe in "what works best" especially when it comes to detecting and for me their is a CLEAR difference.
Hapy Huntn Mate

I really like my DetectorPro Grey Ghost headphones. The audio seems to sound a little more "crisp" over the stock ML headphones. The best feature to me is the sound limiting for those overload signals so I am not getting my ear drums blown out when I swing over a large target, especially while using an amp. I also like the curly cord they have more than the straight cord on my stock headphones.

The Koss are an "on the ear" design, where the DP's are an "over the ear".

DP also offers several models with a feature called NDT, no down time. User replaceable cords that have a twist lock plug, handy if you're snagging and dragging your phones by the cord.

Care must be taken when storing all headphones to not over spin the ear pieces, go to far and this will strain on the crossover wire.

I love not using phones, but when I need them nothing gets me "in the zone" like the Black Widows.

To be honest iv never seen anyone here in Aus using them. Really only ever seen Koss or Telex. Have seen some guys years back using Tank, actual Tanks as in war tanks, headphones which they reckoned were good but sounded too loud for me, their probably deaf by now. As well as some real cheapies.

But never Black Widows or Grey Ghosts.

Roo I never heard about using the tank headphones? :) I use Koss and Sennheiser headphones. The Sennheiser headphones are heavier and pricey but hard hard to beat on sensitivity but I had to replace the strait cord with a coiled cord to help stop the yank with the wait a minute bushes. AzNuggetBob

I should add I use the Sennheiser on my Minelabs and the Koss's on my VLF's. because when I'm huntin summer time for patches with the VLF's and moving around a lot I can still hear the snakes, not so with the Sennheiser they really block outside noise.

I've used Black Widows for at least 10 years or more ... I've got several pairs of Koss but they just don't hold a candle to the BW's, but it is true you can't hear a rattler even standing on top of it with them on ... You can hear rattlers with the Koss, but they have nowhere the sensitivty and tone of the BW's ... Plus, when I first turn on my 4500, I just flip the switch and it drowns out the noise of balancing until the beep, beep, beep and all's well from the detector ... And Detector Pro is one of the best companies for honoring their lifetime warranty ... Gary does a great job! ... Cheers, Unc

Hey guys I'm not talking about the lower end Koss's, I agree with you they are junk. as with many brands lower end headphones. I know sometimes it comes down to what you can afford but I crunched some numbers today and here is what I found. Here is a photo of my old back up headphones. I think I paid about $125.00 for these about 7 or 8 years ago. their a pair of modded Koss Pro4AAT Titanium Headphones with a inline sound mixer and amp that I hard wired in because the 3.5mm or 1/8" factory jacks are unreliable out in the bushes. The Koss Pro4AAT Titanium headphones have a very wide frequency response. they are from 10-25,000 Hz. Imp: 250 a bit of over kill on the top end but well below and include all of most Minelabs detectors audio frequency range of 75-1200Hz on the bottom end.

The Black Widows and Nugget Busters Frequency response is 200 – 3200 Hz. So your missing a bit at the bottom end (75-200Hz range) on most Minelabs. I dont know what the GPX 5000 is running at, but I suspect its even wider range. would be nice to know but their not exactly handing that info out. :D
The older stock Koss Pro4AAT Titanium headphones are not really designed to be used out in the field, they are studio headphones but they do have other newer models that are, also as you can see these are over ear and comfortable, and the newer ones do come with user replaceable cords. but some of their newer high end headphones are rather pricey.
anyway I put the sound mixer in a little pouch on my hunt harness shoulder strap to keep it out of the way and helps keep the cord out of the bushes. and I have to say they have worked great for me. AzNuggetBob

post-1452-0-84793100-1393214858_thumb.jp

Well Heck!...........after all this im wondering if im missing targets????
Im using BWs on the 5g. Hunting in very hot ground and I am constantly hearing moans, grumbles, skweeks and warbles.

Have to recheck targets every few feet, digt hot rocks, along with ground balence.Just going after the consistent solid tones.

Im thinking you guys are talking about running in quite ground?

I dont know what quiet ground it like :)

As for rattlers........snake chaps and keep going :)
Tom H.

Yeah Bob. My friend got them from an army disposal store. Just like the ones you see them wear in the old movies, green rubbery ear covers. They ran at 2000 ohm's or some ridiculously high ohm level, if my memory is right. They gave a lot of sound, tones, but were way too loud for me. Also saw a guy convert some old telephone ear pieces into headphones, they were pretty loud too.

Update: I did a little more checking I was told the Minelab 5000 is running at 400Hz. audio regardless of audio volume settings. and if this is the case it would be well within the parameters of the Black Widow and Nugget Buster headphones 200-3200 Hz. but according to Minelab "most of their detectors run at 75-1200Hz." So before you throw your headphones in the trash I suggest you do a little checking yourself on what the specs are on your model Minelab or what ever detector your running. AzNuggetBob

Tom

I put up an update. it looks like you may be safe on your 5000 as far as the BW headphones. as far as some other models or other detectors not so sure. I got those most models numbers (75-1200Hz.) from Minelab.

As far as your day out huntin, sounds like a normal day out huntin for me? :D but you may want to check your headphone or coil wire,plug etc.??

Roo

as you can see Ive been messin around modding headphones for years but on many detectors especially the early Minelab PI's I need an audio booster. I'm half deaf in one ear and the other isn't gettin any younger. Hmmmm couldn't have anything to do with all those rock and roll concerts could it? :blink::lol: AzNuggetBob

Wanted to post this because there are a lot of detectorists nowadays who are unaware of these products and their capabilities.

I was on a hunt that lasted 12 days recently and thru my neglect I lost a connection on the left earcup of my Blackwidows headphones.

Well this just can't happen as I am hearing impaired, so I had to pull out my backup pair of Nuggetbusters to use on the last day of the hunt. I went over an area I had detected and sure enough I nailed 2 more nuggets to add to the poke on the last day of the trip.

They were small and DEEP believe me, 1 was paper thin actually I would consider it a "Gold Bug 2 nugget" not something I would detect with my P.I.

When I say I'm hearing impaired I mean the wife just about holds herself back from slapping me :spank: because I have to have her repeat herself

so much and I won't get hearing aids. It gets to the point that she will ignore me because she gets tired of repeating herself for me to hear.

The clarity , depth of sound , and crispness of the Blackwidows and Nuggetbusters are tits on the ritz to me !!!!!

I'm not using a state of the art P.I. detector rather an older ML 3500 so I have to add whatever advantages to it that are available.

I have been using the Blackwidows for many years started off using them on my Whites GMT and Fisher Gold Bug2.

If you are having any issues with you hearing, and I know there are a lot of us "older half deaf" people out there detecting, I highly recommend and suggest paying the price and using Detector Pro Blackwidows or even the Nuggetbusters my 2nd choice Backup pair. You will DEFINATELY gain an edge that is well worth the cost and recover the cost in nugget finds in short time.

A BIG THANKS to Gary at Detector Pro for inventing this line of headphones and thanks Rob Allison for carrying them for sale on his store website.

Try em you'll like em. :)

Oh I forgot to mention, they have a lifetime warranty offered for repairs to keep you beepin also :wub:

Put my GoldScreamer Signal amp with it and you will think you have a different detector. I'll even send you one to try for 30 days, don't like it, send it back. If you do like it, pay Rob!

Doc

I had a pair of gold pro earphones and broke the head piece then bought a pair of blackwidows but after the first trip I wrecked the black widows all my own fault(didn't shut the tail gate of the camper trailer correctly) but I put the gold pro ear phones onto the bw head piece and they work great.i think that has a lot to do with finding the really quiet signals compared to still hearing outside noise with the koss. that's on the 5000