Near miss with a big brown snake.

I hate these things. I just let my dog out into the backyard and as I opened the door I was confronted with roughly 5 1/2 foot brown snake. Couldn't get him back in in time. My dog spots it and goes for it. It slithers up some rocks in the yard and as it does he grabs its tail. I didn't have time to think and grabbed my dog by his back legs and try to drag him back towards me. The snake stops and turns looking at us but luckily my dog releases his grip and the snake heads off for the corner of the yard. I get him inside and go for the shovel but before I get to it its off and under the fence. Smashed the knee into the ground in the effort to save the dog, will be sore tomorrow im guessing. Close call, could have nailed either of us. I haaate snakes. :angry2:

I hear ya Roo many of us here in the US take dogs with us nugget hunting,mans best friend. They don't miss much as far as snakes,cats or bears. best alarm system out there. they train them here to "tree mountain lions when hunting them. bottom line if there not trained well, you can loose them. :( AzNuggetBob

Roo, you picked the wrong country to be living in...all your snakes are nasty if they bite you....One of my fondest hopes was fulfilled near Halls creek in 2010 while on tour with Mark Hyde...I and a little brown crossed paths and I was ever so happy to see one!

I love snakes

fred

Yeah, I came close, was on the ground holding the dog with the snake just 3 foot in front of my face. Hey Fred, ill bag some up and send em over for you to play with, a Taipan, King Brown, Death Adder, Black Snake, Tiger Snake, Copper Head, and, a few Sea snakes in a plastic bag filled with water. :)

Yeah, I came close, was on the ground holding the dog with the snake just 3 foot in front of my face. Hey Fred, ill bag some up and send em over for you to play with, a Taipan, King Brown, Death Adder, Black Snake, Tiger Snake, Copper Head, and, a few Sea snakes in a plastic bag filled with water. :)

smiley-laughing001.gif AzNuggetBob

Roo:
Im with you...I hate snakes! Wont kill them but dislike the discusting things.

Sounds like the snakes are coming out here early.

Its been in the mid 80s here and some of the guys have run into them.

Oh well, time for the snake chaps to go back on I guess.
Tom H.

Yeah, what we lack in comparison to other countries with seriously outfitted toothy/clawed killers out in the bush we make up for with smaller sneaky dangerous things. I think id prefer to come face to face with a snake over a Grizzly bear coming at me though.

Earthquakes... Fine.. Rattlesnakes.. They let ya know when your close don't really bother me..... Brown snakes on the other hand....... No thank you... Funnelwebs.. Nah. Don't want that either.

When the 1.+ meter king brown flattens its head and all you see is your wifes legs and feet (in Teevas sandals) in front of you now before the snakes head, you don't forget. Fortunately the snake decide not to strike at the last moment about 20-30 cms away. I'd say that's close, but the closest I've come is actually after a bush fire, lifting up stones as a young kid. In a still smoldering area the first (#1) stone just had large ants, the #2 stone had a centipede thick as my thumb (interesting!) and the #3 stone I lift where there is a gap between the earth and the stone. Actually I put my middle finger on that hole, between earth and stone, and lift. Well that was one of the best looks I've had at a red belly black snake sitting flicking its tongue right where my finger was before - on that hole. I kid you not, that snake was also over a meter. So now the moral of the story is....I don't turn large stones over with my hands after a bush fire, and my wife wears solid shoes and pants in urban areas and off the track.

Now If you really want to I have fun go bale hay where you find lots of rattlesnakes.

The hay had been cut but it then rained so the hay had to dry. After the hay was baled we went to load it on a trailer. About every other bale had a rattlesnake baled up in it. You could see it's body going in and out of the bale of the hay. The thing you had to be sure that a head was not out and alive waiting for you. You had to roll over each bale to make sure he wasn't waiting on you. The guy that baled the hay said he could see snakes fly in the air at times as the hay was being picked up.

Chuck Anders

Wow, now that would be a bizarre sight to see the snakes go flying. Hey Argonaute, when I was a kid I used to hunt blue tongue lizards. I once turned over a large piece of corrugated iron near an old rundown farmhouse, blueys love hiding under that, and about eight baby browns slithered in all directions. Boy did I run! :lol: "Never put your hand or foot where your eyes have not been first", never heard that one before but ill remember that, very wise. :D

Wow, now that would be a bizarre sight to see the snakes go flying. Hey Argonaute, when I was a kid I used to hunt blue tongue lizards. I once turned over a large piece of corrugated iron near an old rundown farmhouse, blueys love hiding under that, and about eight baby browns slithered in all directions. Boy did I run! :lol: "Never put your hand or foot where your eyes have not been first", never heard that one before but ill remember that, very wise. :D

yes I loved to catch blue tongues and large skinks, but usually the corrugated iron was full of cane toads, so your lucky seeing eight baby brown snakes.

And yes.. I should teach my kids that saying. I heard it many years ago, but it must have been after putting my arm in a river bank hole, up to my shoulder. When I pulled it out with a nice set of puncture wounds on my inside forearm. I said to my mates to "keep a check on me"... and fortunately nothing but redness happened.

Had to resuce my sister twice on one week from a red belly black and a cream faced whip snake that had come in under the door of the toilet. They were wanting a colder place to escape the heat.

I tell you though, seeing that king brown really flatten it's head and arch, in front of my wife's bare legs really took the breath out of me - just pure adrenalin

Now If you really want to I have fun go bale hay where you find lots of rattlesnakes.

The hay had been cut but it then rained so the hay had to dry. After the hay was baled we went to load it on a trailer. About every other bale had a rattlesnake baled up in it. You could see it's body going in and out of the bale of the hay. The thing you had to be sure that a head was not out and alive waiting for you. You had to roll over each bale to make sure he wasn't waiting on you. The guy that baled the hay said he could see snakes fly in the air at times as the hay was being picked up.

Chuck Anders

I'd hate that job LOL.

:lol: Argonaute, your a walking advertisement for "what not to do when you go out bush" :lol: Mate, are you sure your not Russel Coit, aka Glen Robbins?

Keep a check on me :lol: , no tourni? No, maybe we better go :lol: ..Half an hour later..."hey Arg,y ARG'Y..." "Mick, Arg'ys not moving wha'll we do?" "Aww, we'll wait another hour an see if he's allright... he told us to keep an eye on im" Classic :lol: