1st for the year.

Hi guys. Got out for a go, was going to wait till the tourists all went home but I got itchy feet. How often has this happened to you? I get to this new spot. Looked pretty good, got out my gear and within five minutes and just 30 foot from my 4wd I get a nice signal. Dig down about maybe 12 inches and find a nice 6 gram bit, but I reckon cleaned it would be 5.5. I think how good is this, maybe a few more. But nope. 4 hours later detecting up from it, below it and to either side that was it! Not even another signal from a bullet even!

How many times that happens I don't know but I can go somewhere, virtually walk straight up to the only bit there and get it in no time then spend the rest of the day getting not even a signal. A while back I went to this place where there was no diggings or other detector holes. I walk up the hill, turn on the 5, take about half a dozen swings and get a .8. I think again, you beauty maybe a patch. But two trips back later and that was the only detectable bit there. One bit on a hill and you can walk straight up to it. What's the chances, in acres of area, ping it straight up. That sort of gold does my head in at times. Its like the only fish in the lake and you cast your lure straight down its throat :lol:

Here's the 6 (5.5) from today.

post-66415-0-32954300-1389262540_thumb.j

Dern nice nugget Roo!
Im usually the other way....spend hours detecting and then on the way back to the truck swinging a little......I start hitting them.

Kind of a pisser because your tired out but you dont want to leave the nugs :)
And, yes we do have a lot of one nugget patches here.

I hit one about 4 weeks ago. It was in a small depression with exposed schist bedrock all around.

I thought I was going to be on a patch...but after spiraling out from the nugget, I had the only one in the area.

OH well....one is better then none :)
Tom H

I`m just "tired" of the sun going down so soon :P

Yah, we are missing about 3 hrs of detector light these days.....but at least it aint hot!

Tom H.

One nugget patches. Makes you wonder where the rest is. Or went to. Its heating up here now, just took the car down to the repairer for a new Oxygen sensor, the walk back home saw me standing in front of the aircon for 5 minutes to cool down. Heatwave coming too, most of next week in the 40's they reckon. Not going out in that, eucalypt forests are not the place to be in extreme heat. That's me done for a week or so. But hey, you guys are getting some seriously cold weather over there. I saw one place the wind chill was -40, now that's cold!

Roo, you're right about the cold weather... Froze my butt off in 67 F. degrees today here in the big AZ ... It really sucks when you work up a sweat and have to change shirts in this kind of chilly hell! ... That is a very nice nugget, will make an awesome pendant! ... Cheers, Unc

Yeah Ill go back in a week or so time when the heatwave backs off. Everyday next week in the 40's, not looking forward to that.

But I couldn't believe the images we were seeing of the cold snap there. Niagra (spelt that wrong) Falls frozen, insane. Frozen bridges, frozen everything.

Looked like something out of that Hollywood movie where the climate changed and half the USA froze over, only watched it too a few weeks ago.

The Day After I think was the title. Arctic Double Vortex or something you guys are experiencing is that right? Crazy stuff. Hear its killed a fair few people too, here's hoping no one here's suffered any family or friend losses from it. Talk about polar opposites, you guys get frozen with ice and we get melted by heat.

Roo:
Yah, its hard for me to belive that as im running around in a T shirt here in the southwest, the northwest is experiancing sub freezing temps. I will take the summer heat anyday out here rather then freeze and have to deal with snow.

Im loven it right now! :)
Been able to get out almost every weekend. Not this one though. Got to get some things around the house done.

Good luck to ya out there.

Tom H.

Polar Vortex. ... another greenies liberal catchphrase to blame global warming on! Hogwash... winter is winter and summer is summer, and then there's mud season! I like Mike F.got out of the gold and moved to AZ. We don't need no stinking shovel for sunshine. See y'all at the gold expo in Mesa. May your pan and scoop be covered with that yellar metal.