5000 at yard sale---

A friend I had been talking with at Reno VA three weeks ago got a great deal on a ML5000 and 3 coils...

We had been talking about him getting into detecting before he went out and bought a brand new unit..

Well the story goes his wife called from a yard/estate sale and said, "Hey honey, they have a metal detector here do you want it?"

He asked her what kind and how much...she tells him ML5000 for 225.00 !!!!! He almost choked...YES he said!!!! :o

She said, "Are you sure, 225.00 is a lot of money..." :(

Right place at the right time....

He is all excited to learn the game with a detector now.... he had been pretty successful drywashing and sluicing...

He is happy ..

I offered him triple his investment,,,lolol

He did say the box was pretty well shot------i told him that was a crying shame.........

Adam

I've seen two varieties of Minelab 5000 fakes. one was somewhat crude and appeared by the controls to be a VLF. the other one was very well faked and seemed to be fully functional with only small differences in screen and font size. Minelab has introduced several security features to check your machine. take a look at this video for more details. AzNuggetBob

http://www.minelab.com/gold-mining/where-to-buy/counterfeit-update

Thats how I got my 5000, it had been offered in a garage sale for 3 weekends for 1000.00 dollars and no one purchased it, then a friend told me about it and sure enough when I showed up it was still there, go figure. I did give her 2 one ounce gold coins for it when gold was 1850 an ounce, as I knew her and her husband before he had passed. Funny that her husband said he only gave 1500 for it new, uh, ok, I thought.

I own a GPX 5000, and yes I know how to run it. And cancel with a mono coil, while it greatly de-sensetizes the detector, does not render it completely unable to see even large metallic objects right on top of the coil.

The poor dope purchased the detector from a dealer known to handle counterfeit GPX detectors in Dubai (of course he didnt know that at the time).

See:

http://www.minelab.com/consumer/knowledge-base/news?article=178728

Minelab is not the only one who has problems with this - there are fake detctors by Fisher / First texas / Tecnetics. I saw a fake tecnetics T2 while I was in Africa also.

It's also a big problem for Whites. When I was in Dubai last year for Whites, that was one of the things we were looking for. They are very hard to tell apart until you actually try them. Even the engineers from Whites were fooled just by the looks. The cam locks were a big giveaway as well as the loops sensitivity. And yes, it's China where they all come from.

Digger Bob