Update on our friend, Jim Straight

• Admin

Hello All,

I just got this sad news from a friend. Please keep Jim Straight in your prayers! Jim has not only been a huge contributor on the forums, but close friend and mentor to thousands of prospectors around the World.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:42 PM
Hi All,
A little bad news/setback regarding Jim. On friday Jim fell and broke his hip. As many of you know with elderly friends and family members this can be a major set back for any 87 year old. I just talked to him and as always he has a positive attitude. He is looking foward to being released to a managed care facility and start his slow recovery. I can not express to all on this board how much this thread means to him. Bill thank you for giving it to Jim. You have given him purpose. He loves to teach and this is his outlet.
After the death of his wife in January, Jim struggled. Lately as he would put it he was getting "back on track". This last thursday I took him up to Randsburg. He had a blast. Seeing some of the towns people he had not see in 3 years. Thay all know and love him. We had lunch at the Randsburg General Store and he got to see his old friend Pam Keiser the owner. We also met up with dear old friend and partner in prospecting crime Jerry Balcer. The three of us talked storys (prospecting lies LOL) then went out to the West End Prospector's claim Rans Promice for a little metal detecting. Yep Jim dected at 87. He loved every second of it.
I feel so lucky to have Jim as a friend. The ride up to Randsburg and back was a 12 hour prospecting/mining lesson. It was information overload. I could write a book on all I learned that day. Then in Jims typical generous style he wanted to pay for gas. YAH RIGHT! I should have paid him. I know his books for me at first were hard to understand . BUT if you are serious about prospecting I would encourage you to keep reading, they will make more sense every time you read them and go out.
Hopefully I will be able to post an address to the manage care facility he will be at. If you have a spare minute drop him a note of encouragement. I know it would lift his spirits. Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.
Dan Taylor

Jim:
Hang in there sir!!
Will be praying for you for a fast recovery.

Tom H.

Rob and Dan thank you for giving us a chance to include Jim in our thoughts and prayers.

As long as I have been on these forums Jim Straight, in his sweet and unaffected way,

has given us the benefit of his wide-ranging experience.

There are so many of us who have learned from him

and that means there will be a huge outpouring of support for his full recovery.

Bless you Jim, hang tough, we want you around.

all the best,

Flak

Jim I wish you all the best on your recovery. I have to say that your knowlege of geology,your books and adventures realy kicked off my nugget hunting career.

I started off as a dredger and was convinced that all the placer gold was in the creeks until I read your books.

That realy turned things around for me on nugget hunting.

Your the man on gold, especially desert placers and I hope we meet again soon. Take care Jim, AzNuggetBob

Here's the latest update on Jim,

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=22123&page=12

"Hi all,

Jim called this am. All is going well. He is at home and will not be going to a managed care facility. He is positive and looking forward to answering your questions. He got a wireless laptop so he is excited to learn that. So post your questions and he will do the best he can.

Uncle Ron. I asked Jim your question and he wants more information. Is the schist rock water warn? Could the gold have travled there, is that why it is only 12" down. The absence of quartz COULD only mean that it eroded and moved away, leaving the gold. He says congrats on 1 oz Nuggets smile.png

Jim says there are LOTS of smart people on this form that he would like to help with this question. But tell him more about the schist.

Dan T."

Get Well Soon Jim!!!!!

Prayers For your Healing

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Jim Straight called me a few days ago. He is doing well, but still in a wheel chair. He told me my picture was still on his Piano, which is a big honor in my eyes. Jim Straight has not only been one of my mentors, but also a special friend for a long time.

Just an update,

Rob Allison

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Guys,

Jim had a good friend Dan Taylor helping him out. Dan is now a member of this forum, so hopefully he can post more in the future. Jim is recovering very well from what the Doctor mentioned. Dan also mentioned Jim wants to get back to Randsburg, guessing detecting or scouting around the hills.

Just another quick update.

Rob Allison

Hey Guys,

Jim had a good friend Dan Taylor helping him out. Dan is now a member of this forum, so hopefully he can post more in the future. Jim is recovering very well from what the Doctor mentioned. Dan also mentioned Jim wants to get back to Randsburg, guessing detecting or scouting around the hills.

Just another quick update.

Rob Allison

Tks for the update. I was wondering how it was going with his hip.

Glad to hear hes itching to get back out :)

Tom H.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Jim is doing well. He is now walking with a walker....and sometimes without a walker....BAD Jim :angry2: Those of you who know Jim, know he is a fighter. Loves life and prospecting. Jim was feeling so good on friday he thought he was going to drive himself to the Dr. Yep i put the kaibach to that. So you know he is feeling much better. Hopefuly soon I can get him up to Ransburg so see some old friends.Yes Rob, your Pix is on the Piano. Jim has the utmost respect for you and your gold finding ability. Thanks for all you do for prospectors.

• Admin

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the update on Jim Straight. I have two mentors when it comes to getting to where Im now as for hunting for gold. Jim Straight's books were such an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge when there was no internet to research. Later, once Jim and I became friends, we shared hundreds if not thousands of emails back in forth over the years along with many hand written letters. Without Jim's help on Geology and such, I wouldn't have continued. Richard Doherty of Rock Springs was my others. Richard was more of my metal detecting mentor, as he helped me get over the humps and become a success nugget shooter. Richard agreed, there were and are no books like Jim's!

Great to hear Jim is doing much better. Without a doubt, Jim is a fighter and will continue to get better. I'm sure he will have the detector back in the field snooping around in no time.

• 2 years later...

Well what can I say:rolleyes:; but here I still be at 85. Father Time may no longer on my side:unsure: but I slog on as best I can with my eyes front and forward:lol: ... Good O'l  Dan Taylor. He is a true friend... Bless him.... jim